Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

Termites in Wooden Fence Supporting Climbers

JaneGael
12 years ago

I went out to do some more cleanup yesterday and noticed that I have some bad termite damage in my wooden fence. It's supporting my climbers and I have no idea what to do about the damage or getting rid of the termites. I called Terminex and they told me they only do homes.

I suppose I should have it fixed now before the roses really take off but I'm afraid they will damage the roses. I'm also afraid not to do anything, so I'm sort of stuck. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• Kippy
    12 years ago

Not sure what you can do about the termites in the fence, but if they are just eating the posts and you have space for a repair person between roses, you could have galvanized posts put in and the fence attached to them instead.

I think for subterranean termites at a friends house, they just put down some special spikes. They may sell something similar at Home Depot in your area, no idea about the effects on the roses.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

At Home Depot (I think this may be what Kippy's talking about) they sell galvanized things with pointed spikes on the bottom. You can sink them in soil, but it works best to sink them in concrete. On the top end, they have upright braces. You bolt 4 x 4 uprights to those things and they're not in contact with the ground, so far less-subject to termite damage.

Jeri

• Kippy
    12 years ago

I was talking about the galv posts like you would think of for a chainlink fence, only they a bit heavier weight. There are hangers that will support the fence rails. It is fairly common way to deal with bad posts to try and get a few more years out of your panels or to skip wooden posts in building a fence.

Those things you pound in the ground, despite the ad photos, are only meant for short fences....somethign we discovered when using for the base of a garden fence entry arch a few weeks back... (now set in concrete too)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

and janegael may have frost heave to consider, being in CT.

• mori1
    12 years ago

Home Depot carries a concentrated termite killer by Bayer Advance that worked for me. I have a wood raised bed in my front yard and had put in a lily bed in front it. Discover the damn termites when I put down the mulch. I used the Bayer Advance stuff which worked. I did have to reapply the stuff, five years later but so far so good. I also read that boric acid (which I use for ants) mixed with a certain type of antifreeze is suppose to work well.

• kidhorn
    12 years ago

Antifreeze brushed on the outside will kill them and keep them away.

You can buy stuff made for boats that you paint on and the wood absorbs it and hardens. It's a liquid that hardens into like a glue. I forget the name but I bought some at home depot a few years back.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Antifreeze is poisonous to dogs and cats. Keep this in mind if you have pets.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

Termites live in the soil and travel to the wood to munch. Treat the soil around the damaged areas. You may need to dig down a bit for maximum effect. I think the Bayer Soil and Turf product would work.

• ohbugger
    11 years ago

Dig around each post completely, one at a time, replace the soil beneath with treated soil (whether you go chem or organic is at your discretion) and replace the posts that have heavy damage.