Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Ordered "Awakening"

bellarosa
10 years ago

but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I have a slightly shade area near a crab apple tree and next to our small greenhouse. I'm looking for a rose to climb the white arbor that leads into the entrance way. I'm worried that "Awakening" may be too vicious of a rose - I've read about the thorns - to plant in this area. Anyone grow this rose and can share your opinions? If not this rose, are there any other roses you can suggest? I'm just looking for a rose that's vigorous, hardy and repeat blooming- so that it can grow above the arbor. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

I grew it. It is vigorous. In zone 4-5, I predict the cold will get to it every 5 years or so. I am out of date but I expect that the relatively new climbers that Pickering recommends as repeat blooming and cold resistant would be relatively safe bets.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

For zones 4-5 you don't have as many options for repeat blooming climbers as you do further south. In my experience, the hardier climbers are almost entirely all thorny, so Awakening is no worse than most and better than some (like Quadra or New Dawn). Climbers like Reine des Violette or Madame Alfred Carriere are less thorny, but in my zone 5 they really are only once bloomers so they're a little iffy for your colder zone.

My Awakening is an absolutely trouble free rose in partial shade and repeats at least some - in more sun like you describe it should have reasonable repeat. You'll want to keep the main canes growing horizontal as much as possible along the arbor you describe, and keep the laterals pinned to the bars of the arbor as they grow to keep them from snagging folks. With some exceptions, I think rigorous attention to training and maintaining the climber does more to keep it from being a vicious beast than the amount of thorns per se. There are some roses like New Dawn I wouldn't trust with an entrance like that at all, but Awakening should be as good a repeat climber as any that will survive in your zone.

Of course we want before and after pictures! Be sure to wait several years before it really climbs the arbor, though as I recall Awakening was a relatively fast grower for a climber.

Cynthia

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

It is my understanding that Dr. Van Fleet, New Dawn, and Awakening are essentially the same rose. New Dawn is a found repeating sport of Dr. Van Fleet and Awakening is a found fully double sport of New Dawn. I had all three at the same time. My New Dawn did not bloom very much longer than Dr, Van Fleet. I liked the fully double form of Awakening. I kept it longer than the other 2.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

What's not to love about this climber. Yes it does have hooked thorns but does one really care!!

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

So, would you all say that Awakening is every bit as vigorous as New Dawn? I had the latter, and it was a good rose, but I had it in the wrong spot,in a very central area of my garden, on a path, with no real rigorous support, and it was a nightmare to prune. I moved it, but didn't keep up with the watering enough (it was a huge, mature plant, and I moved it too late in the season really). I want to replace it, but this time, put it in a more appropriate spot! I'd also like to get Awakening, but if it's habit is exactly like that of ND,I must choose it's spot with care...