Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose hedge

Posted by Llanwenlys 7-8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 9:26

I live in the Pacific Northwest on a small mountain at 1600 ft overlooking the Willamette Valley. We get more rain (60+inches) than the valley and more snow in winter, though it is rarely colder than the high twenties on the very coldest day. I am looking to plant a hedge of white roses that I can see from the house, a hedge about 30-40 ft long. I had thought Iceberg would be most practical, but am very open to suggestion, including (of course!) OGR's should any of them be a better idea. Clay soil, sl acid pH, full sun, no spray organic garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose hedge

With that much rain and no fungicide, I'd expect Iceberg to have problems with black spot and cercospora spot.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:18

Try looking at the newer Kordes landscape roses. They may have superior disease resistance for your rainy area. Northland Rosarium (Spokane), Chamblees, & Palatine sell them--see if there is some you like, then ask about those cultivars and see if anyone in your area has success with them. 'Iceberg' is stellar here, but we limp along on 12" a year (when we are lucky!), not 60".

o

Thank you. I did go to those sites, though not much info is provided on disease resistance. I do have two climbing Icebergs in another spot, only (now) second season. I wasn't terribly impressed with the first season, so I guess I should observe and then decide. Our climate is odd: huge rain, as mentioned, but reliably bone dry from July, Aug, Sept-- sometimes called a modified mediterranean climate.

o

Michael is right, Iceberg does suffer from what I think is cercospora spot here. Actually, between the pink freckling they show from botrytis blight in rainy conditions and thrip damage in the summer, white roses don't usually look the best for me. (I don't spray, though, if you do you may have better results.)

I've written here before that my exception for a good white rose has been Mrs Herbert Stevens--fragrant, disease free here, but I see her as more of a specimen rose than making a nice hedge.

I don't know how tall of a hedge you were thinking? My first thought was rosa rugosa alba, then you'll enjoy yellow fall foliage and big hips, too....

Or maybe some albas...Alba maxima? Alba semi plena? Madame Plantier? I don't have experience with the albas, but have seen beautiful rugosa albas around the neighborhood.

I think nice year round structure, beautiful disease free foliage is especially important for a hedge, moreso than the form/beauty of individual flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugosa Alba

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here