Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standalone Aloha?

Posted by nikthegreek 9b/10a E of Athens (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 9:43

Can Aloha (the New Dawn offspring) be pruned to grow as a self supporting large shrub or will it end up being either too messy or too much pruned for its own sake and really needs climbing support? Does anybody have any experience in growing it free standing? I'm in a Med climate so roses do tend to become fairly large.
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standalone Aloha?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 11:21

I saw several pictures of it on HMF growing in pots as a shrub so... It sure is gorgeous!

o
RE: Standalone Aloha?

I have mine growing essentially as a free-standing plant, though I'd describe it more of a pillar than a bush. It grows fairly thick self-supporting canes without much significant support, though once it gets beyond about 6 feet I have to either provide something to prop it up or prune it back to keep the top from flopping over. Under these conditions, it doesn't seem to put out many basals so the blooms are mostly in the top 1/3 of the plant. Mine is 6-7 feet tall but no more than 2 feet wide. In contrast, my Quadra when it was grown as a self-supporting bush was probably 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide with gangly masses of canes from the base reaching all over the place.

i presume with different pruning patterns Aloha could be encouraged to broaden out a bit, but it doesn't seem to be its first choice. Also a Med climate your conditions are considerably more humid and warmer than mine.

Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here