Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjam2

Front yard overhaul

msjam2
10 years ago

Good morning!

I am tired of my front yard, spring and fall is great because everything is blooming. I want to change it up, I want to add interest even when the roses are resting. HELP!

Comments (16)

• cecily
    10 years ago

Where are your crapes?

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No crapes, I successfully took all out 7 years ago.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I know what you're looking for because I've been trying to get my garden to always have a succession of bloom all season too. It takes some time to get that going but the first thing I did was take walks and observe my neighborhood through out the summer to see what was in bloom when. I kept a list of what I saw and when it bloomed. I'd choose one or two things to add to the garden the next season and see how they did for me. After several years I have managed to get a more regular bloom all season long and I like the way it looks.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Also garden centers usually sell what is in bloom at the time, so visit and look around, but do thorough research before buying so you know if it is going to work or not.

What I see is maybe a lack of proportion--the foundation planting bed seems too narrow. It should be at minimum one third the height of the tallest point of the home. So if the home is 30' tall, the bed should be at least 10' wide, with a little more being better. That would give you the opportunity to plant layers of different heights and textures of plants--tall(ish) shrubs and shrub roses next to the home, a medium sized layer in front of that, and smaller plants in front of that, with thereby space for foliage color and texture plants that will add considerable interest year round.

Then, even if you have nothing in bloom, the leaf textures and colors will add sufficient visual interest without a need for color.

What tree is that? BTW, what a beautiful home!

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

One thing I learned in New Orleans, never, ever plant red hybrid teas anywhere the walking public can help themselves to the roses.

Small cluster flowered roses (that the 'public' doesn't think are real roses) have great curb appeal and are less likely to go walkabout.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Two suggestions: at left corner of house, have the bed swing out into a big semi-circle and then slowly come back in line with the current bed as it gets closer to the front door. That will give you extra planting space, and the big semi-circle will add some dash and excitement to the overall design of the beds.

Next, somewhere over near that left corner (or maybe on the left-hand side of the house) plant a paniculata hydrangea (paniculatas are sun-lovers)--such as Vanilla-Strawberry (pink and white) or one of the all white paniculatas. They get big--maybe 8 ft wide-- so leave enough space. The paniculatas will bloom from about July through September. They are very showy and the blooms last a long time, and you don't have to do much of anything to take care of them except water the plants once in awhile when it gets too hot and dry.

Kate

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoov, I went and measured and it is just shy of 10 ft.
    That rose by my mailbox is Zephrine Drouhin, so she's harmless. :)

My neighborhood is full of evergreens that looks like its the original plants from the builder, that and plenty of annuals.. I am the only crazy rose lady around here, haha.

I don't know what to do in front of the big window, should I use plants that will block half of it or no? I want to so badly do layers of plants, I'm just stump as far as what to do on the back side.

I would really like a Japanese maple, I was thinking tamukeyama would be ok there, but Where do I put her?

The house faces north by the way.

• cecily
    10 years ago

Crapes and butterfly bushes are cliche because they are tough, drought resistant and bloom all summer. Since you're biased against them, a good August/September shrub is Kate's suggested peegee hydrangea. That could be your small tree to the left. Your stone borders are terrific and I wouldn't change them to resize the bed. I would add nepeta or lantana to drape over the edge & soften the overall appearance.

• buford
    10 years ago

I put in a coral bark maple in my front bed. A neighbor has one and it's spectacular in the fall. I can't wait till it gets larger. I also have a tamukeyama and a waterfall in the back because they like a bit of shade and my house faces south and gets full sun in the front.

I hear you about the same evergreens and other plants. I am the crazy rose lady in my subdivision. I am actually getting rid of the junipers that dominate a bed I have close to the street. I'm going to plant more roses, of course.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

I love Crepe Myrtles!!!!!!
    Thumbs down on Oak trees.

Plant what you love. You have a nice sized yard.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to attach this yesterday. See how boring and unsightly my yard is during winter?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

If you didn't want to plant anything in those beds, you could put several big pretty pots and do what I call "pot art". Get seasonally appropriate annuals that bloom [pansies, bulbs, calendulas in winter] I just did a pot in one of my rose beds that has the smaller red mandavilla, creeping money plant, stock, verbena - it is blooming with all kinds of color and lends a bright spot to a rose bed that is just sticks and green leaves right now. Once the rose bed starts blooming and taking over, you can move the pots elsewhere, or just leave them if they aren't in the way of the roses.

Another suggestion is to make a bed under the tree in front - looks like grass isn't growing under part of it. Giant lirope, holly fern, hydrangeas, bridal wreath would grow well in shade - a pretty birdbath or statue would add interest.

Another suggestion is to edge your rose bed with lots of pansies in fall - once spring hits, they will be a ribbon of color - coupled with taller pots with color, that would overshadow the lack of color from the roses. I do this with my rose beds in the backyard - really makes a difference in the bleakness of winter to see these cheery pansies in bloom.

Lovely house and I love your rock edging!
    Judith

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    10 years ago

Are deer a problem in your area? If yes, you need to protect the roses... Here, the deer eat anything and everything, even confiers and Azaleas (which are supposed to be unappetizing to them).

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem with deer, thankfully~
    This is what it looks like when things are happy and alive.

But, I still need to address the back side by the window.

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

You really have a lovely house, and your yard looks great in the summer. My suggestion is to replace those evergreens (yews?) With conifers that make more of a statement. Perhaps a weeping variety or something tall and narrow (junipers) or something similar to flank the front door. Check out the conifer forum for more ideas.

I love hydrangeas and agree that a hydrangea tree would work well to the left of your window. I also think a garden in front of your large tree would jazz up your yard. Hydrangeas would be perfect there with ferns and hostas if they work in your zone.

• toolbelt68
    10 years ago

I know you are looking for something between spring and fall but since you don't like your flower bed during the winter have you considered planting a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick? They do get good sized so plan on that when you plant. They are neat all year long. Maybe plant it out in the yard all by itself.