Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow roses for west-facing containers?

Posted by dsb22 z7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 10:26

Hi,
My neighbor has three large half barrels that I would like to plant with yellow roses. The house has a brick front and the roses will be close to a wine&roses weigela.

In addition to the color criteria, my ideal would be compact, have continuous bloom and have moderate to strong fragrance. I prefer double to very full bloom forms.

I am willing to spray though the less the better.

The barrels get hot afternoon sun from 2pm onwards. Last year I did combination plantings in the barrels and the site was too hot for calibrachoa. Salvia and echinacea did fine, portulaca was very happy.

Are there any roses that meet these criteria and would be happy in these conditions? I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow roses for west-facing containers?

I grow Sunsprite in the ground, which was a bloom machine last summer and has a wonderful, fruity fragrance. The plant is very compact here for me in NJ, and should be good for container growing in VA. I put a Julia Child in a large hot a week ago. I don't have any first-hand experience to share yet. But from the pictures I saw, it is a beauty.

I gave a Molineux to my niece last year. It is doing fatanstic in a pot on her Houston, TX balcony.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 23:31

There's Sunny Knock Out but I don't know anything about it. Although I think I've read that it isn't the best of the KOs. The one I have and really love is Julia Child. Sunny yellow, heavy bloomer with pretty good disease resistance and winter hardiness.

o

Oh my goodness, I did a quick search on Sunsprite, Julia Child and Molineux and they are all beautiful, just what I had in mind. Tomorrow I will see which I can find locally or whether I'll have to order online. Thank you both so much!

o

Take a quick look at Sun Flair. I like it much better then Sunsprite. Better foliage and better bloom and rebloom. Molineux is a beautiful rose. Different color yellow.

o

I love Sunny Knockout - I have 2 huge bushes by my front entrance and more elsewhere, also in pots. From a distance, they look like gardenias, and are very healthy. Julia Child is a wonderful rose - healthy and blooms lots and stays a butter yellow color. Nacogdoches [Grandma's Yellow] is another good one.

o

Thank you, ken and alameda! Sorry for the delay, I thought replies were going to be emailed to me but they weren't. Sun Flair looks gorgeous as well. I've been leaning strongly towards Julia Child, just waffling on ordering online or waiting for local nurseries to get them in stock here. Going to call one more nursery tomorrow. Thanks again!

o

Dsb22, if I lived in VA, I would contact Connie at Hartwood Roses. She'll provide good advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hartwood Roses Contact Info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here