Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown Gall or Bud Union

Posted by kousa 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:32

Hi everyone! Please help! I am new to roses. I just bought some bareroot roses to plant in my garden. It seems that one of the rose's bud union has a larger swelling union than the other bareroot roses that I bought. Is this swelling crown gall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown Gall or Bud Union

Here is another photo of it.

o

That is just the bud union.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 12:05

Yep, bud union and you have some nice new shoots coming!

o

No, it is NOT crown gall - just looks healthy to me.

Just for your info, actual crown gall does not look like that - it is much darker, and bumpy all over, and is soft and sort of disintegrates when you pry at it with your fingers.

Jackie

o

The rose is apparently in a pot, but, when you plant it in the garden, set it a little lower so the graft is just covered--best depth for zone 6.

o

I really appreciate all the responses. Being a beginner, I just can't tell the difference. This bud union looks unusually bulgier than all the others I bought with this rose. i really want to keep it because it has no thorns and it was the last one at the store. Now, I feel safe planting her in the yard. Thank you so much, everyone.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:31

The texture of a crown gall is like cauliflower.

o

I just want to follow up on my Helen Hayes rose. My rose is doing very well and is blooming. This forum is great! I don't know what I would do without everyone's expert advice and knowledge. Thanks everyone for your help.

o

Beautiful! Thanks for the update.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 11:11

A beautiful flower. Enjoy!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 20:39

How lovely!

o

Beautiful rose. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here