Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgleason56

Lucille Ball (the rose) news

mgleason56
17 years ago

In speaking to Ashdown Roses this morning, I was told that they have finally received permission from Bear Creek Gardens to propagate and sell Lucille Ball. Cuttings could be available as early as next spring!

Comments (24)

• spunkybart
    17 years ago

Laughing -- I have a sister who really would like to have this rose, so I will keep an eye out for it!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    17 years ago

Hooray, hooray! I have been waiting for this one!!!

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Is
    {{gwi:236171}}
    a good rose?? She hardly ever gives us more than 70 blooms per flush. She never gives less than 50 though :)

• mbundick
    17 years ago

Well I just pruned mine today and was going to post that I managed to take 10 cuttings this year,which are now in the greenhouse. Ill know in about 6 weeks how many took - does this news mean that you guys arent interested in them any more? BTW all 10 were spoken for, with a waiting list to boot.

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Oh shoot Mbundick!

I would have loved one....wonder how she would do in north florida?

deb

• ceterum
    17 years ago

So do I. I want this t rose very much, so if there is a cancellation, please, let me know! I have a variety of rooted roses for trade.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Same here. Please let me know if you'd like a trade.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mgleason56
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why don't we all meet in Montanta, and rustle some away from Digger??? With that many blooms, we can wait until he is gone, take a ton, and he will never be the wiser...

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

LOL, but, but, but.... remember we put up with 5 years of her 2 & 3 cane wonder years :) A half dozen roses per flush were average from 94 til 99. She didn't have much fragrance back then either. I would have noticed. She rivals Chrysler Imperial for strongest scent of all our roses now. I didn't protect roses before 1998/99. Our Lucy is tough.

Ooops, almost forgot, I would notice a bloom missing :) Deb laughs at me when I go through and name all the bushes she cut roses from for bouquets. There is a word for that kind of person....

• ceterum
    17 years ago

Great idea, mgleason!

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

*looking around* Uhh oh...

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Y'all can take all the cane you want as long as you leave a foot of cane above ground. In fact, you are welcome to do that to all our roses the next two weeks.

• mgleason56
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, I smell something fishy here Dave! How about we come out in early June and just take all your blooms instead?

• carolfm
    17 years ago

I have a feeling that if you guys try to steal Dave's roses he will "scoop you up" and "bury" you. He has just the machine to handle the job :-)

Carol

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Darn it! Thought I could get help with the pruning. The first week of June and you will find lots of buds on Lucy. Mid June is the earliest I can find any pics of an open Lucy bloom. We can work magic but it is still Montana. By the third week of June she is always putting on a show.
    {{gwi:236173}}

But I wouldn't bury them Carol. Scoop them up and close the thumb...
    {{gwi:236175}}
    let them sit a while and think about the error of their ways... not saying I wouldn't sit the bucket in the water a little to ummm... reinforce the lesson.

• ceterum
    17 years ago

Actually, wood with spent blooms are the best for rooting. So you can count your buds and blooms, Dave, we just need this that you would discard anyway.

I have never been in Montana and I always wanted to visit that part of the country in July. :-))

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Now I wouldn't be a good host if I sent a visitor away without flowers, even spent ones :) I have gotten 9 of 21 Lucy cuttings to take root the last few years. Alas, none survived winter. I may have to rethink my plan of insisting the cuttings go through winter. A local nursery offered to overwinter any rooted cuttings for me next winter. Our yard is kind of (in)famous around here and the nursery people like us.

• jont1
    17 years ago

My LB plant was new last year and stayed extremely tiny. It is planted in a 10-gal. container and I overwintered her in the garage. The cane (Twig) is still green as of today as I nipped the top of it off and called that pruning. So, I hope that she is still alive. I hear it takes several years to really establish, so I will continue to really baby her along. The couple of blooms I got last year were small and not much form, but the color was outstanding and they lasted a long time. I am keeping all my appendages crossed for good luck with this one. I actually had two of them, but one didn't survive breaking dormancy.
    John

• jont1
    16 years ago

My Lucille did survive the winter very well and has broken dormancy and added a couple of canes, but one withered back and died.
    I took a leap of faith and transplanted her to a very well protected yet sunny part of the garden in hopes she would respond and so far so good. She has a new flower bud and will be blooming soon. She looks like the move to the garden spot agrees with her.
    I was impressed with the good root structure I saw on it while transplanting. My LB is on multiflora rootstock, which grows quite well for me here.
    Still keeping my appendages crossed.....
    John

• Carrie_AZ
    16 years ago

I am so glad to hear this I have been wanting this rose for along time. Can't wait.
    carrie

• aqrose
    16 years ago

I wonder how things are going with Lucy at Ashdown?

• mgleason56
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have not heard anything, but I do have 10 rooted cuttings that are starting to take off. Luckily, someone out here knew I wanted this and sent me some unrooted cuttings. All took, and are doing great.

I would call trish at ashdown and ask her how they are coming along.

• aqrose
    16 years ago

sent an email and will let y'all know the response.
    Congrats on your cuttings!

• aqrose
    16 years ago

I just heard back from Trish and this is what she said:
    "Our wish list for this rose is longer than my arm!
    We have a very small amount of cuttings that we are going to be using as mother plants this year.
    We hope to be able to have plants large enough for cutting next spring/early winter."

So I'm guessing that these cuttings will be used to make roses to sell? When do you think they'll be available? Sometime in 2009? (sigh) That seems like such a long way away, but I guess later is better than never! I'm still super excited. :)