Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Sugar Moon - blooms

twinkletoad
10 years ago

I bought this rose from Chamblee's this Spring. I've since read that it can be quite a stingy bloomer. I was going to plant it opposite of my Pope John Paul II, on the other side of my gate- but now I'm wondering if it will look terribly lopsided.
Can anyone give recommendations on how to encourage blooms on this rose? Thank you.

Comments (8)

• henryinct
    10 years ago

This rose makes single blooms on canes that can be 18 inches long. When you cut a stem it will make new stems that will also be very long and take forever to make new blooms. It is a powerful grower that I would think would look strange opposite John Paul which is shorter and bushier and will be covered with blooms.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response, henryinct. You're right about JP- it IS a powerful grower and tends to be covered in blooms. I bought mine locally last year, grafted (though I'm not sure what with) and oddly enough, it has grown quite tall (4-5 feet) and is not very round at this point. JP is responsible for making me crave more white roses. It's beautiful... so I ordered Bolero and Sugar Moon. I think I will plant Sugar Moon in my pink /apricot rose garden instead of next to the gate. Anything in particular that may help speed up the blooms?

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Last year was only my second season with Sugar Moon. It was stingy with blooms its first year, but bloomed much more last season...but not as often or as plentiful as my PJPII who is almost always covered in blooms. As Henry pointed out, its growth habit is much different than PJPII. Sugar Moon was almost 9 ft tall by end of its second year in my garden, and for the most part, only bloomed on top of those long canes; whereas, PJPII is around 5 ft tall, bushier and blooms all over for me. I love both of their blooms and their fragrance, but Sugar Moon is not a pretty bush to my eyes...would be better in back of a border with a shorter rose or perennials in front of it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

And for me PJP isn't all the generous a bloomer so I would think they'd be fine together.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is very helpful info- thank you! I'm fairly new to roses, so forgive for asking... but could I peg Sugar Moon to encourage lower blooms or is it too stiff? I've read about pegging, but never tried it.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I just looked at my Sugar Moon and it currently has 14 stems each with a single bud. Most of these stems are at least 20 inches long and some are over 30 inches. This is it's second year and it is going to require a awful lot of cutting back.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    10 years ago

uh-oh. I just ordered this since it is supposed to have good disease resistance. Maybe it will have to go in a different place I had in mind.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This just shows how much you can research but really it all comes down to just "go for it and see what happens." vampy, I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to put mine, too. Sounds like she may get much bigger than I expected. I'm still excited- those gardenia-looking blooms are beautiful in photos. The coral red centers are really interesting.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!