Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

training climbers and best support

Hello! I seem to find lots of photos of climbers in bloom, but not many of "just canes'. Does anyone know where I might find some? I need to start training--watched Paul Zimmerman's video--I feel like I'm missing something.
Also, does a structure for climbers need vertical supports or can a rose be grown completely horizontally (like a wide ladder)?
It appears all the members of the pot ghetto survived (with the exception of Fortune's 5) and the huge trenches in my yard are now filled. So I'm ready to start.
Thanks you all!
Susan

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Susan, being able to train a rose sideways will depend a lot on how supple the canes are. Some roses have very stiff upright canes and will never spread out wide enough. Some are very bendable and will do a ladder training (or a fence) very easily.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Susan, what roses do you have in your pot ghetto that you want to plant?

Jackie

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh gosh Jackie. I have so many. These are the ones I consider climbers/ramblers:
    Aloha, Parade, Sombreuil, Bleu Magenta, Phyllis Bide, Francois Juranville (think I'm going to send him up a gnarly apple tree), MAC and several others.
    Those are the ones that quickly come to mind.
    Thanks!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ay! Caramba! How could I forget Don Juan!
    *wink*

• subk3
    11 years ago

Susan I posted a couple weeks ago pictures of my New Dawns that I've got trained on trellises and just pruned without any leaves, just bare canes. This is starting it's 3rd year and I did the same as last year, but with a bit more plant to work with. It work pretty well last year--there's a picture at the bottom of the thread of last year with leaves and blooms.

I tried very hard to follow the advice of the same PZimmerman video so maybe this will help.

I would love, love, love to see more pictures of dormant roses without many leaves so we can see the form of the bush. I am just so mystified by shape and structure and how they relate to how cataloges describe them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My climber thread

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I agree with you, Tammy, so I would suggest that you post your photos on HMF so others will have the benefit of them. I would also encourage everyone to take pictures before and after you prune your roses to post as well. The more info we collect and share the better!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photos! Main cane (don't cut) lateral (tip back) horizontal zigzag good upright growth bad.
    can't wait to see them bloom. they looked amazing last year!
    Susan

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Susan, I took pictures for you of my trained climbers this morning.
    May be photos are not too showy, but you might get the idea.
    The two photographed are Jasmina and Baltimore Belle.

Both are growing on the south-east side of the house, about 2' from the wall.

Last year's photos of them:

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:12

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

{{gwi:236615}}

{{gwi:236617}}

{{gwi:236619}}

This post was edited by hoovb on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:55

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

It really does depend on what kind of rose it is...I have three of the ones you mentioned, and they are all so different. I have Sombreuil growing on an arch support which is about 9 feet tall and 10 feet wide. On the other side of the arch is the house wall, which it hit and is now climbing up happily. This rose has really stiff canes which you need to train when they are young and pliable (not to mention horrendous thorns). We did just attack it about a month ago - it had gotten so large it was pulling the arch off to one side, and random canes were impeding pedestrian passageway. We left just a few very long canes, and cut back the latterals (sp?) to about 12-18 inches . It loved it, and is thriving and planning its next move to take over the universe.

Phyllis Bide is the opposite - long, pliable canes that you can do practically anything with. Mine thrives in partial shade. This one might be a good one to try horizontally. It does not get too big.

MAC in my garden is sort of wild - I have 3 of her - I just plant her in total shade at the bottom of trees and stand back. No pruning (unless canes fall off the tree in a storm). The tallest has achieved 30 feet up a pine tree with no intervention by me since it was maybe 4 feet tall. MAC blooms continuously here for at least 11 months each year. This rose might be a good candidate for training - its canes are long and not too big around - hopefully someone who has experience doing that will respond -

All of my roses have leafed out 100% already and are in bud or blooming, so no bare pictures. I will try and remember to take some next Winter.

Jackie

Original Author
    11 years ago

OH THANKS SO MUCH you all! Those pictures really help! Marina, it looks like you have yours on wire attached to 1 X 1s?
    Jackie, I intend to let MAC go wild with some other noisettes. The wilder the better.
    I received my Sombreuil today on fortuniana and I'm going to start training her right away. I think I'm going to have to go with screws and wires in brick...
    I appreciate all the information and photos. Very helpful!
    Susan

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Hoovb, what rose is that in your photo? What support system are you using?
    Molly