Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Which rose is better in a pot? Neptune or Gemini?

jockewing
10 years ago

I have a Neptune and a Gemini on fortuniana that I want to plant in a large 'faux' whiskey barrel pot. Most of my roses are in my backyard, but I want to have a showy rose in the front yard too. Trouble is all my planting beds in the front are too shaded to grow roses. I want to place the pot on my front walk where I get sun all day.

So I have a Neptune and a Gemini --- which one would you say has a better bush shape and would be better as a "showpiece"?

Comments (14)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

That's a tough one. I have both in pots. I'm not sure they'd be what you want. Both are rather large here - which means they'd be huge where you are. Neither of them has the nice shrub shape IMHO. Neptune might have the better shape and fragrance. But Gemini would have more flowers.

If I were you, I'd choose something different. But then, my roses and I are so far from where you are, that someone else's opinions might be better.

Here's a picture of Neptune on the left and Gemini on the right.

Carol :)

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Better would be something in a floribunda. Those are both great big roses, and on fortuniana, which only makes them bigger, they would struggle in any pot unless it were open to the ground below. If even one corner of the pot with a drainage hole can be in contact with soil, I promise you that the fort roots will find that corner and will grow out of that hole and into the ground.

But again, something with a better, bushier growth habit would be better as a "front yard showpiece" than either of those two giant hybrid teas.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Grace might be a nice choice. Pretty small here.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's All American Magic.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Rock & Roll is a great choice.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Sorry - I think I missed the point of your message. You ONLY have Neptune or Gemini. Is that right?

Hmmm....then I might pick Gemini - it gets more flowers.
    Carol

• jockewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I already have Neptune and Gemini, I planted all the other roses I had in the ground. These are 2 I have left. I can move the plant around in the pot so if it gets too large it doesn't have to stay in such a visible spot.

Wish it were easier to obtain roses on fortuniana. I can order from K&M, but Mr. Mills is getting up there in age. I hate to think what will happen with his wonderful roses one day.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I didn't know Rock&Roll could have so many blooms! Hope you're doing good.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'm still sore from my surgery - but getting better. The cancer is totally gone - didn't spread at all. I don't even have to see an oncologist!!!

Yes Rock & Roll is a FABULOUS rose!!!! The fragrance is intense. What a rose!!!
    Carol

• andreark
    10 years ago

Jockewing,

Hi there. I live in the San Francisco/Delta Bay area. Probably similar climate as you. I don't have Neptune but I have Gemini and she less than 2 and about 6 feet tall.

But I have a number of pots and the ones that are colorful and are staying a nice size are Teasing Georgia(Yellow), Lady Emma Hamilton(Multi Color), and Falstaff (wow red) is looking like he will stay suitable size for large pot. As you can see, these are all David Austins and smell heavenly.

My pots are 24 Gallon and are about the same size you are getting.

I really like the pots. They don't take any more work than the in grounds.

Have a lovely spring,

andrea

• susan4952
    10 years ago

My Gemini does very well in a pot

• susan4952
    10 years ago

As does Cherry parfait.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up putting the Gemini in the pot. I have read in a lot of places that roses on fortuniana can do well in pots, so I thought it was worth a try. I just wish I had more spots in the yard to put them in the ground. Makes me want to move to a place with a bigger yard.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Good choice. The blooms will be easier to see (more contrast) than the Neptune roses.
    Carol