Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyq627

What type of rose?

johnnyq627
10 years ago

We've fallen in love with this picture and would like to try and duplicate it this year. Does anyone know what type of rose it is? Floribunda maybe?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105/johnnyq627/stock-photo-white-fence-pink-roses-sage-salvia-catmint-and-lady-s-mantle-bordering-sidewalk-on-house-34166053.jpg

{{gwi:238019}}

Comments (15)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Yes, floribunda. There are many very good pink floribundas on the market. Pick the one that is most appropriate for your climate. Knowing generally in what area of the country you are located would help in selecting the best performer.

Also realize that some regular maintenance will be required--cutting off the flowers after they are finished, and pruning yearly. Is this something you are going to have time to do?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I love this photo too, but don't remember what was suggested the last time the photo was posted.

BUT, my suggestion to you is to look for a rose that does well in your zone and stays about the height of the fencing. Then plant a row of them.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The rose itself MAY be Bonica. It's been widely used as a hedge rose since it came out. BUT without knowing where you are there is no way of knowing if that rose would be good for your climate. Tell us where you live and we may be able to suggest the best pink shrub or floribunda rose for your area.

• johnnyq627
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I live just North of Philadelphia, PA. I'm not sure if I should wait to see what the local nurseries have, or place an online order for exactly what I want?

• johnnyq627
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I live just North of Philadelphia, PA. I'm not sure if I should wait to see what the local nurseries have, or place an online order for exactly what I want?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Bonica, although that would be a good choice, and so would Royal Bonica, its sport. However, I believe this rose is Pink Simplicity, which is often used along fences and for hedges. There is also a Lavender Simplicity. Check the photos on helpmefind.com under Pink Simplicity. This rose made a fantasic hedge for my daughter. We both grew Bonica and Royal Bonica, too, which were excellent roses for us. I'm now growing Royal Bonica again for sentimental reasons, I liked it so much. Diane

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

I also think it looks like Simplicity.

The biggest issue with growing roses around Philadelphia is going to be blackspot. That is actually going to be the top three issues. Simplicity will grow well with a good spray program. A lot of things will grow well with a good spray program. If you don't want to spray, it will cut down the choices enormously.

• johnnyq627
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I remember helping to spray my mom's roses growing up. Can anyone point me to a good spray routine article or thread?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Johnny,

Do you want to spray or would a similar looking healthy rose work for you?

Bet some one from your area has some good suggestions

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Using the following spray every two weeks from early spring to november will keep your roses looking fabulous. It's called Bayer Advanced Disease Control and it's considered the best by rose aficionados:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Disease Control

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

The rose doesn't look like the Gertrude Jekyll I've seen.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    7 years ago

I agree, Sheila. Nor does it look in bloom or growth form anything like the Gertrude J. I've grown and loved in Michigan. It wouldn't be the first time a design photo has gotten plant names wrong...

• blocke19
    7 years ago

Could you do this with an Austin, perhaps Scepter'd Isle or something similar?

• oldworldroses z6aSW OH
    7 years ago

I believe that's Mary Rose (Austin)