Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bareroot Knockout roses?

Posted by forensicmom 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 13:07

I am planning to expand one of my beds this year and will need 5 Double Knockout's, along with 2 regular Knockout to replace some in another spot. Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, I have been forced to scale WAY back. I figured I might be able to buy 1 or 2 this season, however I just stopped by Home Depot for something else and walked through their garden center. They had Knockouts and Double Knockouts, bareroot, in the boxes for $10.00 each.

I would be able to afford all of the roses I needed this year at this price BUT is it worth it? Will they be as good quality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bareroot Knockout roses?

If you wait, you'll probably be able to get big potted ones cheaply somewhere--I got a Double KO at Menard's (similar to Lowes/HD) last year on sale in April for about $10 each. Walmart, even some supermarkets sell KO's, you're bound to find a deal.

o

I bought some of their bareroot KO's and put them into pots to see if they were going to survive, before I went to the effort of planting them. That was in mid-January. After they demonstrated some growth, I dumped the poor things out into their new homes, and after enduring howling winds less than a week later, they have rallied and seem to be taking hold very well. It is worth a try since, as mentioned above, you will likely see a sale later on if you have any failures. By then the ones that made it will have good roots in your garden, hopefully...mine have flower buds.

o

Thanks. At least in my area, I've never seen any gallon size Knockouts OR Doubles for less then $19.00. I got 2 at the end of the season at Walmart and they were very small containers for $12.00. Fortunately I've planted 3 bareroot roses last year and they all performed great for me with lots of blooms their first year.

o

Bareroot KOs are pretty easy to grow. I just grow them in the container and let it develop root system. However, I have dug larger KO roses bareroot out of ground often times and they never suffered. That is done in the winter though. I'm not sure how they'd do during the summer but I'd imagine they would suffer a bit.

o

bareroot for 10$ = 8 already looks as a deal looking at prices here! :-)
Anyway, you shold not compare just the price, but also the quality of the roots with the quality of the potted plant.
Personally, I prefer bareroot roses, so they grow (and adapt) since the beginning in the soil of my garden.

o

Ho-o-o-ld the phone!!! Our Wallyworld just unloaded big potted KO's, both double pink and double red, for thirteen dollars apiece! Blooming like mad! If I had known, I sure wouldn't have messed with my puny little bareroots. Grrrr.

o

No kidding prairelaura....

For a few bucks more, I would have waited for 2g Sunny KO. Oh well.

o

hi....

Homedepot have special for knockout roese 1GL for 8.95 on memorial weekend...

good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here