Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forensicmom

Bareroot Knockout roses?

forensicmom
15 years ago

I am planning to expand one of my beds this year and will need 5 Double Knockout's, along with 2 regular Knockout to replace some in another spot. Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, I have been forced to scale WAY back. I figured I might be able to buy 1 or 2 this season, however I just stopped by Home Depot for something else and walked through their garden center. They had Knockouts and Double Knockouts, bareroot, in the boxes for $10.00 each.

I would be able to afford all of the roses I needed this year at this price BUT is it worth it? Will they be as good quality?

Comments (8)

• prairie-rose
    15 years ago

If you wait, you'll probably be able to get big potted ones cheaply somewhere--I got a Double KO at Menard's (similar to Lowes/HD) last year on sale in April for about $10 each. Walmart, even some supermarkets sell KO's, you're bound to find a deal.

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

I bought some of their bareroot KO's and put them into pots to see if they were going to survive, before I went to the effort of planting them. That was in mid-January. After they demonstrated some growth, I dumped the poor things out into their new homes, and after enduring howling winds less than a week later, they have rallied and seem to be taking hold very well. It is worth a try since, as mentioned above, you will likely see a sale later on if you have any failures. By then the ones that made it will have good roots in your garden, hopefully...mine have flower buds.

• forensicmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. At least in my area, I've never seen any gallon size Knockouts OR Doubles for less then $19.00. I got 2 at the end of the season at Walmart and they were very small containers for $12.00. Fortunately I've planted 3 bareroot roses last year and they all performed great for me with lots of blooms their first year.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Bareroot KOs are pretty easy to grow. I just grow them in the container and let it develop root system. However, I have dug larger KO roses bareroot out of ground often times and they never suffered. That is done in the winter though. I'm not sure how they'd do during the summer but I'd imagine they would suffer a bit.

• scardan123
    15 years ago

bareroot for 10$ = 8Â already looks as a deal looking at prices here! :-)
    Anyway, you shold not compare just the price, but also the quality of the roots with the quality of the potted plant.
    Personally, I prefer bareroot roses, so they grow (and adapt) since the beginning in the soil of my garden.

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

Ho-o-o-ld the phone!!! Our Wallyworld just unloaded big potted KO's, both double pink and double red, for thirteen dollars apiece! Blooming like mad! If I had known, I sure wouldn't have messed with my puny little bareroots. Grrrr.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

No kidding prairelaura....

For a few bucks more, I would have waited for 2g Sunny KO. Oh well.

• dhaval
    13 years ago

hi....

Homedepot have special for knockout roese 1GL for 8.95 on memorial weekend...

good luck

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH