Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latini

Rose suggestion for this location

MK
10 years ago

Hi all,

We are re-doing the driveway in this photo and will create a planter for something to climb onto the pergola above. I'm thinking roses and I can prune from window above. The catch? This faces northwest and gets little sun fall/winter but afternoon bake spring/summer--and we can get temps up past 100 for short periods in this part of the East Bay.

Considering wisteria (purple) for pergola on other side of the front door--not too close to this one but still visible from the street, so ....

I have just planted David Austin Othello and Sally Holmes in other garden areas. Suggestions that can take these conditions???

Comments (10)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I've never grown wisteria but everyone who has comments on its horribly thuggish qualities, its giant size and tendency to bury pergolas and everything else, and then, when its shown its horrific nature, the impossibility of ever getting rid of it.

Your situation seems rather hostile to roses also, especially if it will be located in a planter, without the possibility of the roots going deep down to look for cooler soil. I'm sorry to seem so negative, and I hope that someone who has actually done something similar will have a more helpful response.

• MK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No apologies! I want realism as I don't want to tear my hair out and then the offending plant!!

FYI There will be a deep planter installed as part of the driveway.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I think Ingrid is on the mark, dobieone. When you say "deep planter", are you referring to depth into the soil, length or width of the planter? Will the planter be open to the actual soil beneath it, so it will basically function as a raised planter with an open bottom? Are you thinking of planting the wisteria in a similar planter or will it be planted directly in the soil? Will you mind the wisteria being bare during fall into spring, and how irritating will you find the seed, flower and leaf litter? If you want something which looks pretty uniform most of the year, perhaps you might find using vines such as distictis or pandorea more pleasing. They're quite a bit more forgiving in the light department than roses; they are prickle free, pretty much disease free in most cases; not as thuggish as wisteria and appear fairly uniform most of the year except when in flower when they are actually prettier than usual. Pandorea flower most of the year here in SoCal. It may, or may not, perform similarly where you are. I have had many occasions to replace roses, pink jasmine and other less durable and less suited plants with pandorea. Plus, have you given thought to how you're going to attach either plant to the house or some other upright to train them up on to the pergola? Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Hope you don't mind if I rotate the photo. That is one pretty house!

'Sombreuil' would work if you are patient and let it develop long canes and keep it well-watered. I have 'Sombreuil' over my front door.

One thing with vine over a frequently used area is as mentioned, litter. I track 'Sombreul' rose petals into the house constantly. I'm okay with that, but will you be okay with that in your garage? Just something to think about and consider. Also I got rid of my Wisteria almost 10 years ago and I am still digging out suckers from roots that extended themselves 20' away from the original plant. Wisteria to me is one of those plants best enjoyed in someone else's garden.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

There are two found Noisettes which are good for difficult spots, Manchester Guardian Angel and Pleasant Hill Cemetary. I think Rogue Valley has them. I don't know if you want white or a vivd color in that location. There are some beautiful passifloras which have brightly colored, large flowers and graceful, trailing habits. They also produce fruit, so there would be some litter to go on the compost. I think most passifloras have edible fruit, and some are quite delicious.

You could also consider loniceras, honeysuckle, if you like fragrance. I have read about a tropical lonicera which has 6 inch flowers.

Some Noisettes and climbing teas which have spectacular bloom and easy to train habits are Cl. Devoniensis, Mutabilis, Madame Alfred Carriere, Lady Waterlow,.

You might want to look at Mutabilis, which has interesting, color changing, single flowers, very flexible canes, and is almost entirely free of thorns. Mutabilis is an ancient rose from China and is an excellent garden plant in the warmer parts of the USA. It grows quickly and is nearly always in bloom.

• MK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts so far, for bringing things up I hadn't really thought about--wisteria extreme thuggish behavior and bareness, petals tracking into garage etc. The distictis I believe likes more temperate climes like coastal area, I've read it doesn't bloom well our cooler winters. However, the 'Sombreuil' rose sounds and looks great! I will definitely consider it!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Forgot, one thing you'll want to get if you have a rose there is pole pruner, not the kind for tree branches, but something light enough that you can use to dead-head the spent flowers from the ground. A very, very handy thing to have for that type of situation.

{{gwi:238229}}

2nd thought, 'Fourth Of July' might work as well, depending on the color of your siding--not sure what color that is--reddish brown?

This post was edited by hoovb on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 10:25

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Definitely make sure that whoever installs the planter cuts LARGE holes in the bottom of it, and breaks up the concrete below it (and removes it) so that the dirt in the planter is open to the real dirt below. I have several roses growing this way, and most of them are over 20 years old and happy. Their roots have made their way into the actual ground.

I would suggest the tea noisette Madame Alfred Carriere - it does very well in partial shade, and your climate is warm enough for it. It likes heat too, when available. Mine bloom 10 months of the year.

Jackie

• MK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoovb--is that your balcony? That is just gorgeous the way it cascades! I am pretty much sold based on your advice and what I've read on sombreuil. My siding is reddish brown so will check out your 2nd idea, as well as Jackie's. Great to have advice from people who have first-hand knowledge. Also,I will look in into pole pruner.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Yes that is Sombreuil on the front of my house. Right now it is still bare from winter pruning. that pic is from '10 or '11. Keep in mind the first 2 or 3 years Sombreuil does not repeat well. it needs to settle in and grow larger before repeat is regular.

Look around, do not be in a hurry, choose carefully. Right plant in the right place.

Jackie makes good point about making sure your planter connects to the ground without concrete in the way.