charleney_gw

best advice pruning one cane wonders

charleney
10 years ago

Two HT's. Secret and 60 yr old Peace?

Comments (9)

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

Hm...so I would suppose those are grafted? I will pull them out and get two new ones.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Hammer them with fertilizer and see what happens. What have you got to lose at this point?

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Don't take the Peace any lower then knee high (it HATES to be pruned). Feed it and see if it will throw some growth from the bottom. A 60 yr old Peace is worth trying to save. Do the same thing with Secret.

• charleney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read that the peace rose hates any inorganic fertilizer. Used alfalfa and watered it in. My Secret has 2 canes, but think it is not getting enough sun. Will move it.

• charleney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am wondering if my Peace has gone 'own root'. I am holding my breath. It was my Mother's rose and and I moved it two years ago from her yard after she died! She had not been able to take care of it at all for about 8 yr. Had my sons leave a lot of wet 'valley' very fertile soil around it...did not inspect it at the time I planted it. It has bloomed beautifully for me a year. ago. really hoping to save it. Am watching it!

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

When I had a lot grafted HT, every year I would see fewer canes. No particular issue, like cane borers.

I pruned by one can wonders with a shovel. Own root roses, you have some kind of a chance for recovery.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but new canes were generally a rarity.

I saw some HT in Sonoma that when pruned looked like spokes on a wagon wheel. I was never so lucky.

• bobbyb123
    10 years ago

I agree with ken a 60 year old peace rose is worth trying to save. more importantly it was your moms. if it didn't revert to rootstock I would try something different, first I wouldnt hammer it with fertilizer just feed it. then I would not allow it to flower, what I mean is when a flower bud begins to develop take it off don't let it mature. dont prune the plant just take off the flower.if the plant is strong enough to produce flowers force the plant to put that energy into leaves and stems. the energy has to go somewhere. it is not a easy thing to do but it does work. You will a lose season of flowers,but at least it will go into next winter a bit stronger.

• charleney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much. We know how important "memory roses" are. I am trying it all and leaving it alone. This forum has given me all the right 'stuff' for about 10 yr. now.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Save that Peace! A lot of people say that it has changed over time and is not the rose it once was because of over cloning, merely a pale imitation. I had a Double Delight that was my Mom's. I thought it was dead one spring. It had no new growth on it. 5 or 6 weeks later when I went to dig it out to plant the replacement I had bought it had one lowly sprout on it so I potted it up. It's now twice the size of the replacement DD! They can and do come back.