Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Best Rose Names

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

The "Worst Rose Names" gave me this idea, as I kept thinking about rose names I really liked. I nominate these two, which are translations from the Chinese:

1) Tipsy Imperial Concubine
2) White Pearl in Red Dragons Mouth

What do you nominate?

Jackie

Comments (21)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Valencia - the name means strong and healthy, and it's just fun to say!
    Carol

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I like "Incognito", "Conundrum", and "Distant Drums" (the names and the roses)!

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Sunsprite (or Freesia)--perfect for the bright yellow fragrant blooms

Crimson Glory--kinda says it all, no?

First Prize--the epitome of a show bench HT

Reine des Violettes--yes, she is queen of the violets
    Curly Pink--well, yes, the petals are curly & pink

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

What could be more fitting a name for a rose than one which became a sensation just after WWII--that of Peace? It had a prominent place in my Dad's rose bed. And as a kid in the 50s, I only knew the name of one rose, and it was Peace. Everyone called it "The Peace Rose." And yes, I know it's first name was Gloria Dei.
    I also love the name Evelyn, both for a beautiful rose, and that of two beautiful people in my life.
    Finally, another favorite name is that of Julia Child, a large, strong woman, just as my two Julia roses are large, strong roses, that bloom continuously when it 100 plus degrees outside, and after other roses have conceded defeat in the face of plummeting temperatures in the fall.
    Diane
    Julia in July, 104 degrees.

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

Had to think about that. Don't know if I could nominate any one, but narrowing it down, I guess personally I'm drawn to the romantic French names, the Duchesses and Belles and Mmes.

Two others I love are Dainty Bess and Hebe's Lip.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Never had it but I think Fuzzy Wuzzy is cute for a mini moss.

In the U.S., it will always be Peace, but I think Gloria Dei is a beautiful name.

Aggripina, too, the much respected mother of Germanicus. Seems prettier than Cramoisi Superior.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Almost anything French, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Coquette des Blanches, Reine des Violettes, Duchesse de Brabant, etc. etc.

• socks
    10 years ago

Those Julia Childs are huge! Good grief, I hope mine don't get that big!

I like Gourmet Popcorn and Rainbow's End (minis).

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

There are many I like, but "The Lark Ascending" really captures my heart.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Reading Ingrid's post mentioning Coquette des Blanches, I thought of the rose, Colette, whose name is a perfect for the peachy pink, sort of frilly rose it is (though the real Colette was probably not very frilly). The Prince as a name for a dark, smoldering, red rose is evocative of some kind of tragic Shakespearean romance (or something or other). I like the name Ebb Tide for a deep purple rose, and Blue Bayou for a very bluish rose. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Just want to second the name, Dainty Bess, which I love. It fits those exquisite and delicate looking blooms so perfectly (though Bess is one tough cookie). Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I think Queen Elizabeth is a good name for a great rose, at least it has been for me, enduring; also Pristine for a beautiful rose that is very pristine. And a rose I have, Forgotten Dreams. There is really nothing spectacular about it, kind of average as far as looks, but a good garden rose, wonderful fragrance and it blooms and blooms.

Forgotten Dreams

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Earth Song is another good one.

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

I like the found names best- "Grandmother's Hat," "Rusty's Angels Camp Orange," "Pulich Children," and "Secret Garden Musk Climber" are some of my absolute favorites.

Also- Anything I get to use the French pronunciation on! Duchesse de Brabant is super fun to say.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the found rose names too. Also, sometimes old rose names mutate. There is a funny story in the Australian Tea Rose book. Evidently, Duchesse de Brabant was growing all over Australia, but the identity had been lost, and they didn't know who it was. One of the other official names of DdB is 'Comtesse de Labarthe' (I have no idea - perhaps the same lady had both titles?). Anyway, when a rose expert from Europe showed up and identified it, its local name was "Countess Bertha". The expert said "how could anyone get that name from 'Comtesse de Labarthe'?". The Australian tea lady said "Oh, Australians can!"

I also like that very popular, very surviving old roses frequently have several common names, like Old Blush being called "Common Monthly" etc. HMF has TWENTY names listed for this rose!

Jackie

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Sweet Surrender

{{gwi:238457}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Peace

{{gwi:238458}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I like the name of my Tattooed Lady and the rose really looks tattooed!

{{gwi:238460}}

And Trump Card because I know the story behind the naming of it.
    {{gwi:238461}}

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

Jackie- Countess Bertha! Oh man. I love to imagine the old pioneers- either here in the US or in Australia, lovingly tending their roses. I especially love the idea of the roses being brought over by the Chinese immigrants to California. I keep hoping we'll find out more about those roses.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    10 years ago

I like all Souvenirs, but Docteur Jamain is my favorite.
    I love the literary ones, i.e. Falstaff, Young Lycidas, Wildeve.
    How can one improve on "Mutabilis"?
    "Chrysler Imperial" -- goes back to childhood -- elegance personified.
    Variegata di Bologna -- as different as it sounds.
    It's easier to remember the bad names, alas.
    Sylvia

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus