Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teka2rjleffel

Whiteflies = Virus = Dead Rose Bushes

teka2rjleffel
13 years ago

Hi All,

I know I posted on this before but would like to know if I have a need to panic.

I've heard that hibiscus is the host plant. But the whiteflies carry a virus that kills roses. Over the weekend I yanked out all of my hibiscus, which was hard, since I liked some of them a lot. But this is South Florida. Hibiscus is a basic landscape plant in nearly every yard, including my neighbors. My Julia Child was glorious this last flush and is covered with Whiteflies. I have now sprayed several times with different products and they are still there. I don't want to lose these to virus. Is there a product that will kill them?

Comments (8)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Hibiscus is indeed a prime Grade A host for whitefly, but of course, it's not the only one.
    We've seen evidence of them on citrus leaves, brugmansias, and they appear to love begonias.

But, listen, where did you read that Whitefly spread a virus that kills roses?

Look, we live in an area of SoCal which is still largely agricultural -- all sorts of fruits and vegetables are grown here, and for years we have all battled massive whitefly incursions, because there was so much spraying going on.

Of more recent years, the farmers have cut down on use of broad-spectrum insecticides, and instead planted "insectaries" around the perimeter of their fields. As this progressed, our whitefly outbreaks have largely disappeared.

But when you say you have sprayed several times with different products, I hate to say this but you're making the problem worse, rather than better. If you can bite the bullet and quit spraying with insecticides -- rather spray the plants with water, and encourage predatory insects and birds (hummingbirds looooooove whitefly) you'll see the problem begin to abate.

I know. We've been down that road ourselves, so I'm talking about steps we've taken, which have been successful. We haven't seen a whitefly here in years.

Jeri in Coastal Ventura Co.,
    SoCal

• saldut
    13 years ago

Whitefly has been a very serious problem here in Fla. because they carry the virus, and acc. to the write-ups the virus has spread extensively.... I have lost many 'mater plants to the virus and have had to resort to spraying, there is no-way that they can be controlled otherwise... Google has extensive information abt. this problem, commercial growers here in Fla. are desperate to try and control it, the Univ. of Fla. Extension Service is working on it.... you are very lucky in Calif. if your whitefly is not carrying the virus..... I do think not all whitefly carry it but enough do in this area that it is a serious problem causing extensive commercial crop losses.... sally

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I know I posted on this before but would like to know if I have a need to panic.

Does panic ever help?

• henry_kuska
    13 years ago

"Whiteflies (family Aleyrodidae) are responsible for transmitting yellow mosaic diseases in at least 20 plant species including cowpeas, roses, soybeans, and tomatoes. Whiteflies also spread leaf curl viruses in cotton, potato, tomato, tobacco, and other plants."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• sheerbliss
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm in the rose business and the only product we have found that helps eliminate white flies is Safari. You will probably have to go through a professional to obtain it, but atleast you know what to ask for.
    Donny

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Or, you could just cut back on broad-spectrum pesiticdes, and let nature balance.

Jeri

• york_rose
    13 years ago

There are many different whitefly species and the various species can carry different viruses.

They also can vary a lot in their plant feeding preferences, with some species concentrating on just a few plant species (or one), all the way out to other species like greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum, yes its scientific name is a mouthful and a half!) which will feed on more plant species than I care to think about.

There are also TONS of different plant disease viruses, with different effects on different plants, varying all the way from completely zilch (because the plant species is completely immune to the virus - such that the virus is completely incapable of infecting the plant) to completely deadly to the plant (killing it outright every time the virus infects that particular species). Plant virus diseases can have extremely variable effects upon the plants they infect.

What is the whitefly of concern to you rosarians in Florida, and is that whitefly carrying a plant virus that damages roses, or one that damages tomatoes (or one that damages both)?

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hoovb, you made me laugh. Panic is always so helpful isn't it? I think my question should have been does this whitefly infestation mean that my roses will die for sure?
    Jeri, I think I will follow your advise since nothing is working anyway. I also have brugs and my latest love is begonias. I can't rip everything out. I appreciate all of the advice.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida