omg! another incredible ebay rose

mgleason56
12 years ago

This has to be seen to be believed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Rose

Comments (39)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

What's hardest to believe is ANYONE would believe that a dyed florist bloom COULD be grown from any kind of seed. You find these atrocities all over the Flower Mart and in many grocery stores. I wonder whether they paid for permission to watermark that image as their own? "100% positive feedback"? Either they've found 78 intensely gullible people, or this is their first venture into outright fraud. Kim

http://www.ftd.com/rainbow-roses-ctg/product-roses-rainbow

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Rainbow Roses

• kidhorn
    12 years ago

Maybe someone got one of those dutch roses, collected seeds, and is trying to sell them on ebay thinking the seeds will produce rainbow flowers.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

I have a good friend who is a longtime seller of victorian antique textiles. She is going to report this seller. It's amazing to see how much fraud goes on at that place. Unless you know the person and have a history of buying with them, I would say never buy there. The protections used to be much better, these days you have to beware. Anyone can sell anything at all.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

kidhorn, couldn't be done. The only way to dye the flowers is to remove them from the plant, which would prevent formation of any seeds. All flowers remaining on the plant would necessarily have remained white, so no "multi colored" blooms. It is obviously not an "honest mistake".

I'm sure if you spent enough time and effort, you'd find where they "appropriated" the image they watermarked as their own, too. All around, nothing about this "auction" impresses me as honorable. Kim

• User
    12 years ago

I noticed there had been no bids so I guess it is just a bit too blatantly dodgy.

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

I am willing to bet someone falls for it. Isn't there an expression,'seeing is believing'?

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I'm guessing the entire post is spam...

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Even if it wasn't a fraud its an uuuuugly rose. In my opinion!!

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

I have met the guy who posted this and he's no spammer. That pix though needs a name all its own.

• mgleason56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now TNY78, why, after mega years out here, would I spam on something as incredibly fraudulent as this? I saw it while perusing roses on EBAY, since there are some good finds at times out there, and thought it funny.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I appologize mgleason, I'm not familiar with you on here
    I thought maybe you were the seller trying to promote a fake rose :) it drives me crazy when I see things like rainbow roads and blue rose seeds on eBay and Amazon. The worst thing is there's people that end up falling for it.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    12 years ago

The worst thing about this ebay seller is that they've apparently sold lots of these rainbow seeds before. In their feedback are post after post of "great service! thank you! I can't wait to see them grow!" One such lot of 50 seeds went for $31. Ugh. I doubt anything will happen to this seller though. :(

• User
    12 years ago

When you encounter something as blatantly fraudulent as this on eB*y, file a complaint where it matters: to site management.

• mgleason56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TNY78 - No worries. There are all types of fraudulent rose selling going on right now on EBAY. They pics of beautiful roses and they are selling Rose of Sharon seeds. I found this one though to be the most egregious. Now with that said, I have found some great roses on EBAY I probably could not have bought elsewhere. You just have to be careful and do your research.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Remember the post from the person who bought "rose seeds" there and grew radishes from them? "It's a miracle!" Kim

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

OK, had to look. That seller seems to have sold about $85 worth of those 'rose' seeds. How sad - I've encountered many more honest Ebay sellers than frauds, but one does have to be careful.

Problem is, by the time the seeds germinate if they do germinate, and a flower has formed, it's much too late to leave appropriate feedback and all a buyer can do is comment on the promptness and number of seeds they've rec'd when delivered to them.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I do and I don't feel sorry for the people who buy those seeds. Anyone who buys things on ebay with out checking further is pretty much getting what they ask for. Buyer beware, as it were. I must admit they are colorful and either a very good photoshop or dye job!

I can personally vouch for Mr. Gleason, he is a friend and a wonderful rosarian. (And I want to get over and see that new rose garden this year, Mike!)

• lucillle
    12 years ago

When one is defrauded, one can search the DA's office of the state where one resides for the Consumer Fraud division and make an easy free online complaint. The DA will not necessarily recover your funds but if the individual act is grievous enough or a person have a number of small complaints, the DA may investigate and the seller could then suffer criminal consequences. There is no charge for the investigation, unlike hiring a private attorney.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I didn't even realize people sold roses through Ebay. I was surprised underneath the link for the dyed rainbow rose, to see what look like "normal" roses for sale. Has anyone on this forum actually ever bought a rose through Ebay? I don't think I could do it...

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I've bought several. Long Ago Roses (longagoroses) sells on ebay every week. Others that I really liked are plants from Rio Bay Roses (rio0776), and Murphy's Rose (murphys_rose). LAR sells bands, and the other two (in my experience) sells large already growing plants. From these people I've bought Grandmother's Hat, Louis XIV, Maggie, Fire & Ice, & Pink Traviata. Feels like I'm forgetting a few, but that's what I remember at the moment.

• merlcat
    11 years ago

I took the risk, twice! It would have normally been against my better judgement, but I turned out to be happy with both of the purchases I made. I wanted Morden blush and couldn't get it locally when I wanted it, so for the price I took the risk. Mademoiselle de Sombreuil didn't seem available either, and I fell in love with the picture, so I went for it.

I bought 'Mademoiselle de Sombreuil' from Murphys Rose two summers ago, and she is doing great! It was a very nice plant to begin with and I would purchase from her again, for sure.

I bought 2 Morden Blush from auctioneersbd, also two years ago, both of which are doing great, too. I know there is a current thread going about how some people are having problems with this seller. Personally, I had a good experience with them and would consider purchasing from them again.

As a side note, The Morden Blush plants I received marked Jung seeds on the box were better than many of the bare root bodybags I have seen at the big box stores. I also purchased a Sombreuil climber from Jackson and Perkins at the same time I bought the ebay Mordens, and it died within months. Just my 2 cents.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

There was a lot of excitement when a Peace sport called New Orleans turned up on Ebay a few years back. I think New Orleans had been thought to be extinct. I think someone posting here bought it. I have never heard how it grew, and if it really was NO.

I used to buy roses from an ebayer who is no longer selling. The roses were nice but she unfortunately had other questionable business practices, and I think she may have been asked to leave the site.

• Zyperiris
    11 years ago

LOL. What a joke.

• Saurabh25
    11 years ago

i intentionally have bought the Rainbow Rose seeds from ebay seller hes importing it from china and today am gonna recieve them.

Lets see how and what grows out ! wil update it here lolx

its fun to experiment>!

• User
    11 years ago

By purchasing what is obviously a fraudulent product, you are encouraging this shyster merchandising to continue; you are rewarding a crook with money. Experiments are one thing, but we all know you aren't going to get anything close to what the photo depicts. As Kim pointed out, you may not even get roses.

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Last time someone did this same "experiment" they got radishes.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Guys, this is actually happening with several eBay sellers. It started with this one seller over two years ago, and I wrote to him complaining about these supposed "rainbow/blue/green/whatever" seeds he was selling (oh, he had a glorious assortment!). I patiently explained the facts of life and genetics to him, on the OFF chance he was a deluded innocent himself. He claimed that he got all his seed from "a reputable grower in China" (HAH!) and that he was sure they would not misrepresent their product. At that point, I gave up.

The problem with him having a good rating and being allowed to continue selling on eBay stems from the fact that buyers only have a 90 day window in which to leave feedback. Since it takes THAT long just to stratify rose seeds, much less plant, grow and FLOWER a rose (up to two years), the buyer may not know what he has until long after the time passes to leave negative feedback.

He's got a perfect racket set up. Now others are catching on to his scheme, and I think even his Chinese suppliers have gotten in on the act and cut out the middle man!

I'm going to try to find the email I sent him. If I can find it, I'll post it and his reply here. You won't believe it.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Deleting a multiple post

This post was edited by fig_insanity on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:07

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Deleting a multiple post

This post was edited by fig_insanity on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:05

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    11 years ago

Oops...sorry for the multiple post...have NO idea what happened, lol.

Harmonyp, I've bought SEVERAL roses off eBay, but one seller has a retail rose site online (she occasionally posts here), and the other I buy from is a member of HMF, with gorgeous photos of her roses. I won't mention names here, but both of them deal in rare and somewhat hard to find roses. I know one doesn't send to CA because of regulations. Both sellers send as healthy and robust plants as any of the well known growers. I can't vouch for all, but there are at least TWO who I would recommend.

If you'd like names, just email me.

John

• windeaux
    11 years ago

What I find most outrageous -- in fact unpardonable -- about the ebay bloom is that its creator has succeeded in producing what heretofore would have been beyond comprehension: A ROSE that is actually in bad taste.

Here in the South, the pronouncement that something (or someone) is "tacky" is the ultimate putdown -- a deadly indictment of one's taste. The tackiness of that multi-dayglo-colored monstrosity is eclipsed only by the tackiness of the human unit who produced it, and the units (if there are any) who squander good money to acquire it.

Mgleason56: Abt 3 years ago, you posted on the HMF ''comments" page for the HT 'Magic Lantern' that you were going to supply rooted cuttings of that rose to Roses Unlimited. Pat Henry at RU has stated to me that she has not received any ML plant material. Do you still intend to provide those cuttings?

The ML plant in my garden that provided the dozen+ cuttings I shipped to you several years ago is not recovering very rapidly from hurricane damage it suffered several seasons ago -- otherwise, I wouldn't trouble you, & would gladly ship cuttings to RU myself.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

Mgleason56, If memory serves, you might be the gardenwebber who purchased 'New Orleans' on Ebay.

Please, do tell, how did that work out? Was the bodybagged rose really a Peace sport which had been thought to be extinct. Please, enquiring rose fools want to know.

• Circuitbreaker Man
    7 years ago

The Rainbow Rose Ripoff Report. The first obvious clue that Rainbow Rose Seeds don't exist is that Rainbow rose "bushes" -for sale- don't exist (not online or at any nursery). Call any reputable plant farm or nursery (Monrovia Farms, Calloway's Nursery etc). The selling of non-existant rainbow rose seeds is a big money-making scheme through intentional fraud. You will only find Rainbow Roses growing in the following locations.1: In fields where frolicking herds of Unicorns roam! 2: In flowerbeds, growing right next to forever-blooming Money Trees! Or 3: In the flower gardens of each and every honest politician that lives and breathes!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RAINBOW ROSES OR RAINBOW ROSE SEEDS. ~ A Dutch flower company owner, Peter van de Werken, created the flower-coloring technique, not the flower. The majority of "Rainbow Rose" pictures seen online are simply Solid White roses that "drink up" different colors of brightly colored dyes through its stems (similar to how millions of cute little Pink or Purple bunny rabbits and baby chicks suddenly appear at Easter time). To all these unscrupulous web-based sellers, including those on eBay and Amazon etc who continue participating in the Rainbow Rose seed scam, "Shame on you".

• erasmus_gw
    7 years ago

These garish photoshopped rose pictures must be getting around. I had an actual vacuum cleaner salesman come to my front door last week, and he asked if I had any of the amazing roses with multiple colors. I told him they're not real, they're photoshopped and he said , " You can't believe everything on the internet." So true. We know not to believe these rose seed pics but I think we're all capable of being misled.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    7 years ago

Sorry Roselover :), but they are so unnatural looking!

This is one of my pet hates of buying stuff online. As can be see from this thread its been going on for years; certainly it wasn't new in 2012. You can report it to the marketplace/website as much as you like, even if they actually remove an ad, it just comes back, or the sellers start up under a new name. And that's because the marketplace makes a cut from successful sellers, fraudulent or not, and its not economically advantageous to them to hire extra staff to police ads.

Fair enough, I am privileged enough to have the education to suss out fake from real...but being able to weed it from my search results is growing increasingly impossible! and the odds of being able to actually find something I want to buy amid all the dross in the hopes of finding a genuine bargain isn't worth the time anymore.

• roseblushlyn
    7 years ago

Just a heads up ... these guys are now selling on Amazon. There is even a 5 star review for one of the vendors. Fraud is alive and well.

• CindyZ4b
    6 years ago

Its a scam. They use dye in the water to get the petals colored. Seeds are most likely white.