Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

My rose has several "trunks"; is this bad or normal?

Hello everyone! It seems I'm always asking "just one more" question about my rose bush. I have the rose Midnight Blue that I bought last year from Heirloom. When it first arrived it had two "trunks" coming from the roots. I decided to let them both grow in case one of them got sick. Then a third trunk started to grow. I didn't notice the third was a trunk until I inspected the rose really closely. From most angles it looked like a large branch of the main trunk because it bent outward instead of straight up. I kept pinching the branches that grew into each other and let all three trunks grow because I knew clipping them would only encourage more growth. Last fall after my bush dropped all its leaves I clipped the two trucks I didn't want to grow back to nubs less than one-half inch tall, hoping it would kill them. It didn't, and now they're growing back (they've started to put out new leaves). If I let them grow then all three trunks will grow into each other and the branches will be very tangled.

Should I keep clipping the extra two trunks and keep only one, or should I just let it be? Is it normal for roses to have multiple trunks? I've never heard of this, and I keep reading to not let branches rub each other which these will do if I let them be. The trunks are about 1/4" from each other and the third one especially tends to rub on the main trunk. The first trunk grew straight up and was the largest, the second was very small but looked healthy, and the third grew diagonally directly against the first (rubbing it) and was almost as large.

My rose is an own root rose, so these aren't suckers. I can't find anything about it online.

Comments (8)