Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose the same color as Thornbird iris?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 14:01

Hi all,
I'm looking for a beige colored rose to match this iris. Any suggestions? The iris can look dirty yellow, grayish peach, or just plain light tan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose the same color as Thornbird iris?

Try looking at the old tea rose 'Safrano'. It does not have the grey tones, but very pale yellow, almost white, with buff tones. I am in No Cal Sunset zone 15, and it blooms here 10-11 months of the year. Stopped about a month ago, and is now putting out new growth (red, which goes great with the colors) and buds for its first Spring flush.

Jackie

o

Ash Wednesday?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:22

I have that Iris, I like it. Mine is at the feet of 'Perdita' and I try not to look at both of them at the same time. Thankfully the Iris bloom period is not long.

I would use 'Honey Dijon'.

'Koko Loko' might be interesting as well.

o

I would go with Koko Loko. I'll bet it will match up perfect with that Iris with the way it changes colors.

o

Rather than match the color I'd pick something from the opposite side of the color wheel, i.e. mauves and purples. I think that would look much more vibrant and interesting and you won't have to worry about finding an exact match. Another idea would be to find a rose that's terracotta or orange which would be on the warm side as the irises are, but pack considerably more punch.

o

Koko Loco would also be nice. The buff are usually so muddy. Agree with Ingrid. Pick up the purple in the center of the iris.

o

I was thinking purple/dusky mauve/murrey too. A single or semi double to contast all those silky ruffles. Also consider bloom time. Susan
But Koko Loco sounds pretty. Distant Drums?

o

@poorbutroserich
I have a Distant Drums. It's a pretty shrub. In my opinion, the coloring would compliment the iris, but not "match."
The blooms start out purple/pink with a tan center and then fade to a pale orchid. It's bloom cycle is really unique.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF - Distant Drums (photo)

o

Yes. I was thinking of complement rather than match. I'm not much of a "matcher". Sorry!

o

If u go with DD make sure you like myrrh. A very nice rose. Think it would rock this Iris.

o

Thank you, everyone. My first thought was Koko Loko, but Honey Dijon is even closer. I'm putting together a companion plant post for the iris with another gardener and she is doing the complementary colors, and I am looking for companion plants with the same color scheme as the iris. I may have to take this in a different direction, though.
Renee

o

What do you think about going towards the yellow? Maybe Marylin Monroe?

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF - Marylin Monroe

o

Oh ...what a great suggestion. Mine is more apricot. Love her!

o

I agree with the other comments on considering Distant Drums! An amazing rose...with interesting changing colors.

I just got a Thornbird last summer, now I want to plant it next to my DD :D

Here's my DD last year...first bloom just peaking open...

And the same bloom fully opened 24 hours later...

Cheers!
~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

o

YUM! Gorgeous. I guess I'm going to have to get Thornbird! Do they bloom together.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here