Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?

gardenerzone4
13 years ago

I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins. Please share your experiences with them. In particular, anyone grow Dames de Chenonceau? Was told this rose has a particularly beautiful bloom...what's your experience with it?

Comments (35)

• predfern
    13 years ago

I planted Dames de Chenonceau two years ago where it only gets morning sun. It doesn't bloom. Nahema is a nice climber that survives the winter with significant cane (I don't spray or winter protect) and has beautiful fragrant blooms. Madame Bovary is a vigorous tall bush with large blooms that smell like baby powder and lots of thorns. Madame Figaro died the first winter. France Info is sickly.

• amandahugg
    13 years ago

In general, Delbard roses are a lot like Austin roses, at least when you bring them into milder climates. They have a tendency to turn into great stingy blooming monsters in the landscape. I don't have that big a yard.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

I've got a couple of the striped Delbard shrub roses and they've all been great for me. Grimaldi and Edgar Degas are both good bloomers and have pretty striped flowers. The hybrid tea Henri Matisse doesn't bloom as well but it's a smaller plant.

• jerome
    12 years ago

I have Dames de Chenonceau as of March 2011. It has put out one flower, and that's all I need...spectacular. It has a myrrh fragrance, but mixed with fruity and old rose undertones. The color is magnificent - a blue pink outside warming to peach/apricot in the center. But that description is not subtle enough. The plant is still a baby, and I'll do anything I need to do to coddle it along. Looking forward to the mature plant.

• sage_co
    12 years ago

Predfern,

Is Nahema as cane-hardy as New Dawn or hardier? Also, does it re-bloom more than New Dawn? We get more than 50% die-back of New Dawn in this zone 5. If Nahema behaves like Canadian roses, I would like to get it.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I have Papi Delbard as a short climber. The flowers are gorgeous and have a strong, unusual fruit fragrance. It has been highly disease resistant. Repeat is reliable but modest so far. Mine has only been through +5 winter lows; no damage at that temperature.

• predfern
    12 years ago

Update! Dames de Chenonceau is blooming and the blooms are beautiful! Not bad for morning sun. Nahema survived last winter without protection. There was some cane loss but a significant amount of cane survived. I do not grow New Dawn so I can't compare. Nahema has good repeat. I got my Delbards from Roses Unlimited. Madame Bovary is blooming now and has large English like fragrant blooms (more citrusy this year).

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    12 years ago

I have Juliette Greco and Pierre Gagnaire. I love them both :)

Juliette puts out so many long, trailing stems that I use her as a topiary, actually. I'll try to get a pic sometime; she's really so cute! The blooms are not as large as my Austins, and they open up fully and stay that way a while. Pale yellow that turns nearly white. Very nice.

Pierre is a single, and he's just so pretty! He is palest yellow/white with pale pink on the back. He gets pretty darned tall, with thickish arching canes. I'm moving him this winter and seeing how high he can climb if he likes. He'll also be where you can see the flowers close-up and notice his unusual coloring.

Neither has scent to my nose.

• saskache
    12 years ago

'Chartreuse de Parme' is the sweetest smelling rose I know. The huge blooms last well in water. I grow it in a large pot and it flowers through till late Autumn.

• saskache
    12 years ago

here is a photo of it taken when first planted last year. It has many more flowers this year. I hope you like it.

{{gwi:238957}}

• predfern
    12 years ago

How well does Chartreuse de Parme do in zone 5? Madame Figaro and France Info did not survive.

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

'Henri Matisse' is a huge monster with constant rebloom in my garden. He takes up alot of real estate and has gotten so large that I had to stake his long canes on a trellis this spring. I'm quite impressed with the large, striped red blooms. Quite striking!

'Camille Pisarro' is another beauty; not quite as large but another continuous rebloomer. Creamy ivory blooms streaked with red and pink; very eye catching. Both are very winter-hardy without protection.

I agree with others about 'France Info'. I have two and after 3 years they have remained small and insigificant. In the spring, they must be pruned to the ground because they are not cane hardy at all and it takes them quite a while to recover and start growing. The yellow blooms are gorgeous, but sparse. The plant itself may only reach 2' during the season. There are much better Delbards to be grown IMO.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post but wanted to bump it b/c I want to know more about Delbard roses. Does anyone grow Chartreuse de Parme in zone 6 or 5?

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I've tried to grow Chartreuse de Parme once or twice in zone 5 here and it seems to be on the less hardy side of the Delbards. I have quite a few Delbards with this kind of old-fashioned form, including Dame des Chenonceau, Nahema, Comtesse de Segur, Dominique Loiseau, Puerta del Sol, Madame Bovary, Papi Delbard, and my dearly departed dark red Messire Delbard. I have a lot more Delbards that are more modern forms, but I tend to find that the ones with the old-fashioned shapes tend to be more reliably hardy, with some exceptions.

Cynthia

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

So funny this popped up , I had added it to my rose order for roses unlimited.

Looking forward to receiving it !

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    9 years ago

Hi Lily and Cynthia,

Cynthia, thank you for the feedback. It looks like Chartreuse is going to get some nice winter protection. I don't winter protect my roses but I'm willing to do it for this one. The pictures are gorgeous :)

I also ordered Dames des Chenonceau, Nahema and Souvenir de Louis Amade. So excited to try these new roses!

• PRO
    Paul Zimmerman Roses Consulting & Design.
    9 years ago

By and large the shrubby Delbards will get a little larger in warmer climates. The striped roses (The Painter series) behave themselves a little better. I've grown 25 plus for almost a decade and they do great in my no spray S.C. .garden. Some not as well like France info. Chartreuse needs some extra care in terms of extra fertilizer etc. I also find the larger ones take well to be cut back throughout the year - generally I do that after a bloom flush.

Fans of Delbard may be interested in knowing we just brought in close to 90 new varieties from France last fall. They are budded in a test field in AZ.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

Wow. I'm a huge fan of the delbards. Which ones would you recommend for the deep south?
    I got mine from Cool Roses in South Florida. I currently own Dames De Chennonceau, Nahema, Pierre De Ronsard (eden) and Papi Delbard.
    I'm wondering how and when I should prune my Dames De Chennonceau. Normally I would just give her a good hacking, but she's my favorite rose and she just started giving me regular blooms so I don't want to chop her and slow down her production. She's gotten a little "octopus" like in growth though, so I wondered if cutting her back would make her bushier, or maybe I should just let her grow. I've had her for 2 years now and she looks like she was about 2 years old when I purchased her, so I think she's about 4 years old now.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

I also have my eye on**Souv. de Louis Amade

• PRO
    9 years ago

Cool Roses is going to be your best person for advice on Delbards where you live. They have a good history with them and know their stuff.

I would not hack her down. Trim the stuff that is sticking out and just keep doing that all season. I "prune" mine to around 4' and then just trim throughout the year to keep them in check.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

ok great. That's pretty much what I've been doing, just cutting the one or two canes that grow "out of bounds" and keeping her at around 3.5 ft all around (she seems to grow as wide as she does tall).

• PRO
  • SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Btw what an honor to have you answer my questions. I'm a big fan! I grow Incantation rose and I have Golden Buddha and Jeri Jenkins on my wish list. :)

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Paul. Can't wait to look through the other Delbard roses. Where will these roses be available for sale?

Pat from Roses Unlimited highly recommended Souvenir de Louis Amade.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Pat, hopefully over the next couple of years. I'm working on some things to get them in wide release but no details yet.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Paul, that is exciting about the Delbard roses being trialed. We need some new variety in what is available here in the U.S. Is there any chance that the newer Tantau roses, hybridized by Evers, will be available in the U.S. or Canada in the next few years? I have a few of them, and I want more! Thanks for posting about the Delbards. Diane

• PRO
    9 years ago

I believe someone is bringing in the Tantaus.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Oh that would be wonderful. I know a number of forum members are interested. Thanks for the information. Diane

• jerome
    8 years ago

Just a garden update on Dames de Chenonceau. It has, in the past 5 years, matured into a great plant. It's kept at about waist height here, maybe a little taller. It is bushy, full, and healthy. It blooms a lot, and would be one of the better modern plants in the garden. Really like it.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

Dames de Chenonceau my absolute favorite rose. I have 2. One is in a huge pot and its about 3.75 feet tall and wide. It shrugs off disease and always has the largest most sumptuous blooms that last well in the vase as well as on the bush. I also have one in the ground that has stayed about the same size except for a few long canes that shot out to about 10 feet tall and I draped them over an arbor that was close by. These giant canes bloomed more often than the rest of the plant. Had I wanted to keep it compact I would have just pruned the down, but I love this rose so much I let it grow and will continue to let it grow as much as it wants. I would like to grow more Delbards as most of the ones I have tried have been great. Nahema for instance is another wonderful rose and has also done very well for me. I am hoping the nematodes don't ever get to either of these roses because they are both in the ground, but I keep them growing in lots of organic matter so hopefully they will stay far away.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

oooooh. Delbard and Tantau OH MY. Now all we need is Barni....

Susan

• jerome
    8 years ago

Of the Barni roses, Roberto Capucci is in the garden here. Not planted in a good place (too hot and dry) and it deserves a good place. Flowers are beautiful, with a nice (to my nose) medium to strong fragrance.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

Thanks Jerome! I've had my eye on Roberto for awhile.

Susan

• cphzone8b
    6 years ago

Do anyone know the ultimate size of this rose grown in the ground?