Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinkisses

What is the best time released fertilizer

austinkisses
10 years ago

Which do you prefer Osmocote Plus or BloomKote by Mills Magic - for Texas or other hot climate area

Comments (22)

• justkristyj
    10 years ago

I don't know the best, austinkisses, but this year I am trying Osmocote Plus. Chamblee's rose nursery recommends a feeding every 6 months, plus it was not too terribly expensive.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Osmocote doesn't dissolve after several years???? Why would that be? I just bought a huge bag of Osmocote.

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is the capsul that contains the fertilizer that does not dissolve.. This is very noticeable if you put an osmocote product on a potted plant or if u add year after year to the same roses. I have used it successfully for years and it does a good job but I was impressed by the idea that a similar product did dissolve so I could tell when I needed to add more. Temperature and watering practices determine how much osmocot releases and how long it works. When all product is gone that capsul remains giving the impression you are feeding plants when actually u are not.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

There are a LOT of brands of CRFs and within brands a lot of different formulations and release rates. Because of the number of variables, you really can't specify one brand over another as the best performer from a nutritional perspective and the plant's POV.

The ideal fertilizer would be the one that delivers ALL the essential nutrients that are deficient, and doesn't deliver nutrients already represented adequately in the soil, or delivers enough of each nutrient to bring nutrient ratios in your soil into a favorable balance. There really isn't any way to intelligently decide what fertilizer would be best w/o knowing what a soil test tells us.

Because in most cases temperature has the greatest influence on delivery rates, you might find the slower release rate of a fertilizer designed to release over a period several months longer than your actual growing period to be preferable.

Al

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bow to Al's greater knowledge... just a long time home garden and rose enthusiast over here. I would expect getting into Al's technical details on your soil would be important if you were in process of correcting a soil problem. My process is easier for me- I remove almost everything when starting a new garden and import from Living Earth Technology what I want to use to replace what was excavated. Then I amend the soil each Spring with basic compost later add shredded mulch, again both from Living Earth. Fertilize with what is long lasting and simple and always give plenty of water. I plant any larger item with Plant Success (from Rosemania) sprinkled in hole. Found this process gives success with minimal effort in all Texas cities I have lived.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

Wow!! What a beautiful garden!

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Al is very correct in that the devil is in the details and in this case the detail is the dirt... once that is right all else is easy...or that is my experience anyway. Sharing one more pic from my files- these blooms came easy, most cycled off and on until the following winter giving color and great smells. I am no expert, just like a pretty garden- anyone can do it.

• justkristyj
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the information.

The pictures of your garden are lovely! You can't argue with success.

10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your lovely garden - here are some shots of mine, although they are covered at least 2'deep in white right now. ;-)

{{gwi:43128}}
    {{gwi:43083}}
    {{gwi:13161}}

{{gwi:3273}}
    {{gwi:3281}}
    {{gwi:3258}}
    {{gwi:13163}}
    {{gwi:3265}}
    {{gwi:3277}}
    {{gwi:3274}}

{{gwi:1211}}

A couple of Japanese maple bonsai:
    {{gwi:3257}}
    {{gwi:92885}}
    {{gwi:10863}}
    {{gwi:3289}} Bye

Best luck.

Al

10 years ago

Deleted duplicate post .....

This post was edited by tapla on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:20

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All so lovely especially your container planting, can tell you go for a bit of the whimsy. You might try "Authentic Provence" for some especially wonderful containers and garden antiques... forgive me if you are already aware of them but I just had to mention because they have products that add such depth to a garden... I often recommend them to my clients for those special accents. IsnâÂÂt it fun to share our efforts with those who can appreciate what we love . I read on your page your interest in bonsai, good for you for conquering it. Thanks for sharing such pretty spaces.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Austinkisses:
    I'm so glad you posted the information about the Osmocote capsules not dissolving, because I'm concerned about a healthful environment. I will not purchase Osmocote again. In the spirit of fairness, I contacted the Scott's company for a response and below is the reply I received today:

Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:12 PM
    Subject: Scotts Miracle Gro Contact Center Response Ref #11326425

The Osmocote Plus prills are designed to be applied as a granular and are not dissolved in water. The prills absorb moisture from the soil causing them to swell. The nutrients are then slowly released through the prills special coating to the plant's root zone. The prills will not wash away nor will they disappear.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Scotts. Please feel free to contact our company anytime we may be of assistance.

Hilary

Ref # 11326425

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Austinkisses - your garden is beautiful! Could you name some of the plants and roses pictured, esp. in the 2nd photo, the tall pink bell-like flowers at the front? I live in east Texas - the summer heat really does a number on many plants - I love seeing photos of Texas gardens - do you have more? Al, your garden is also gorgeous!
    Judith

10 years ago

Al, in photo #7, what is the trailing red flowering plant on the right side of the container? Your yard is beautiful!
    Judith

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Your gardens are just breathtaking, Al and Austinkisses. They look like they are grown and maintained by professionals. Wouldn't mind being one of your frogs in your garden during bloom season, Al.

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Just beautiful Tapla and Austin kisses. I'm so inspired that AK your garden is in Texas. My goal is less grass and more plants. How often do you water in the summer?

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alameda - the fluffy blooms you like are Penstemon Husker Red. This variety was the 1996 Perennial of the year. Great plant and should work for your area as it likes to be on the dry side. It has those wonderful flowers for several weeks in the spring and the remainder of the year it sprouts bronze red foliage also a plus. Easy to grow and multiplies a bit too much in my garden. Bet you could get at Home Depot but be sure to use the Husker Red if you like my pic. I like to use the Proven Winners growers from HD because they have the larger healthier plants and are always true to type (not so for some of their bargain plants) I can forward a list of my roses if you have an interest. But to hold court in my garden they have to smell good, bloom heavily throughout all warm seasons including our hot summers and if it is prone to blackspot then it better be worth the effort to keep it clean.

• austinkisses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lovely compliments everyone, it always feels so good to have your efforts applauded. (Ha, probably why I shared pics must have been feeling need for a little applaud) I have spent a lifetime trying to find a way to repeat the garden beauty that some of you accomplish in your temperate climates. I love my Texas but California and Washington you do have the weather that nurtures plantings. I find Texas gardening very easy now and rewarding but only after much trial and error. I usually only spend a few days of effort in Spring and Fall and it takes care of itself between. Must say, the blooms, though not like spring, are abundant year round. Yes I do water nothing much works without it and I am not a zero scape gal... just a bit to weedy for my English Garden taste. As in everything each to their own.

10 years ago

Austinkisses, yes I am familiar with Husker Red but have never tried it - now I will! My town has a HD and a Lowes, so hopefully they will have it - if not, I am close to Tyler and go there a lot where there are several good nurseries.

I would love a list of your roses........I am indiscriminate with my rose buying [have been making a pig of myself with Vintage Gardens closing......] and if I love a rose, will baby it. I read a lot of garden magazines and it seems the gardens are always located in California, Pacific NW, up north, rarely are any Texas gardens featured, yet I see so many lovely ones here, this is why I was really taken with your garden being in Texas.

The heat is what gets things in the summer - spring is glorious. I find that the spring plants that succumb [petunias, pansies, snapdragons] that make such a showing can be replaced with others that stand the heat. a favorite is angelonia - have you tried it? Comes in deep purple, white and pink. An absolute trooper in the heat and blooms all summer.

Would love a list of your roses. After the brutal summer of 2011 [105 every day for 3 months and no rain] I made a list of plants that can take the heat and will be happy to share that with you.

Would love to see more photos if you have them! Winter is just starting to ease its grip here [am 2 hours NE from Houston] - had 28 degrees all day Monday, but today it is warmer and not a cloud in the sky. Fantastic!!
    Judith

10 years ago

Judith - the plant you asked after is one of the trailing begonias. I'm thinking maybe "Bonfire", but more likely "Million Kisses".

Thanks for the kind words and nice compliments, guys. I always feel blessed when something I've made moves others to feel something positive. What inspires me to garden is knowing I'm not the only one that will get to enjoy it, so thanks for the inspiration!

Sorry for the cross talk, AK.

Al

10 years ago

Al, thanks for the name of that plant! I have never seen a begonia like that but plan to ask all my favorite nurseries about it. Gotta have it......Ya'll's beautiful photos are certainly inspiring after winter - such a joy to see such lovely yards! All my must do errands are done and I have the next several days to not have to go anywhere - just work in my yard nonstop and play with my horses. Heaven! Oh and the weather is finally cooperating - after not getting above 28 degrees Monday and not much better Tues. and Wed. - today is glorious and tho cool, perfect for yardwork! Cant wait to get started!!

Hopefully.......you all will have some time to upload more gorgeous photos! Happy Spring to all and the time changes Sat. nite!
    Judith