Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

A Raspberries to all who......

andreark
10 years ago

Just being cheeky.. But I wanted to post this photo for all of you that said I should SP it!

This is First Prize. For the first year and a half of her life, she grew naught. She also produced only one (magnificent) bloom and was very sickly looking. I tried many things (all organic) to no avail. It just broke my heart at the thought of having to destroy this plant...So I made a final attempt and called Regan's wonderful Rosarian, Victoria. She suggested that since it was December, I should try doing a 'Midwest' (cold climate) prune and cut the rose back to 8 inches or so. I gritted my teeth and did it. As you can see, the wakeup call did the trick. (Sorry about the photo, she is actually over 2 feet tall now.) She had only 1 blossom in 18 months. There are now 6 buds and a rather long cane that is 3 feet tall.. And her leaves are dark and shiny. What a turnaround.

Kim, you were right about being patient!

andreark

Comments (8)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your successful rejuvenation! (btw, I voted FOR 1rst Prize :-)

It's been good where I've had it--perhaps it loves heat--but I gather it's bloom form is out of fashion for some folks or it performs poorly for others. I think it's beautiful. Enjoy those big scrolled flowers that are coming up.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks BG. I am anticipating those gorgeous LONGGG
    buds and BIG flowers.

What a heavenly time of year for rosers. I have only 32 bushes, but must have a bazillion buds ready to explode.

andreark

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Great job, Andreark! I look forward to seeing pictures when she blooms!

Since my winter was so horrendous I'll probably be doing a lot of that "Midwest" pruning this year, lol! I hope mine all spring back as well.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Seil. I will certainly be posting photos of my first ever spring flush, maybe in less than a month...Those buds make me soooo happy. I also have a new Falstaff (in ground only 2 weeks) that has many huge buds ready to burst.

By the way, I have seen many of your photos on HMF. I am there often. ( and yes I'm a contributor) Your photos are great. I wish I could do half as well with a camera.

Thanks again,

andreark

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Roses mock you. The smaller you try to make them the bigger they get. My PFG was a gangly 7 feet. Pruned to 1 foot in the spring and back to 7 feet in the fall. Dug up and poisoned in the winter and now sprouting in places it had never reached before. I recently applied roundup carefully and now am waiting for the next surprise.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Andrea - I am excited for you. So glad your First Prize is doing so good. Right now my roses have broken dormancy and are putting on lots of new growth. I can't wait for them to be at the stage yours are right now. Hope you show pictures of your spring flush. I am missing my blooms so much and love seeing everyone else's!

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann,

I will be posting photos as soon as my first flush happens. Last year at this time, I had only one bed of 6 plants and don't remember the incredible number of buds. I had some flowers of course, but not that many. I think I have learned a lot from my rosy buddies here on the forum, and that's why my roses are so healthy and happy now.

My beautiful babies send you all a wish for a very wonderful spring.

andreark

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Thank you Andrea. I am looking forward to your photos and hope you enjoy your roses immensely!