Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too soon to remove winter protection?

Posted by redwolfdoc 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 14:51

Hello!

It's finally beginning to feel a bit like spring, and although the forsythia won't bloom for another two weeks at least, the buds are starting to form. I know it's too soon for pruning, but I'm wondering when is best to take down the burlap and leaf mulch winter protection.

The two-week forecast has temps down to 25 F on one or two nights, but mostly staying between 35 and 45. The ground is very, very wet right now and there's still quite a bit of snow to melt off. I'm worried about rot.

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks, as always,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too soon to remove winter protection?

Chuckling about feeling like spring because it's snowing here in central MD. Not chuckling about the snow though. Grrr! It's not only the cold temperatures. The soil is so water logged it can't be worked.

o

Sigh, I know. When I say "starting to feel a bit like spring" I mean only that the temperature is marginally above freezing and the sun is out today. And you're absolutely right about the soil being waterlogged. I had a walkabout through the backyard earlier and the whole place is either an ice sheet or a bog. Guess I have to wait! :)

o

I have removed my winter protection. I also pulled my pots out of the garage. I hope not prematurely. It was 61 degrees today and I had to do SOMETHING. We will dip down a bit in temp, but I hope its okay. Days aren't expected to dip below 40 for the next week or so.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 21:02

Do you know how low can potted roses take? I have removed protection off my potted roses and some of the canes are already leafed out while under cover. Tonight it is going down to 30 degrees for about 3 hrs. Do i need to cover them?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 23:37

Well, I hope y'all haven't jumped the gun. I haven't touched any of mine yet. I lost too many to that Easter freeze a few years back so I'm going to leave mine on for a while.

o

I haven't touched any of my roses yet, though I stare longingly at them on a nearly hourly basis. That winter protection is looking pretty mangy! Seil, your comment gives me strength to wait though. Well, your comment, and the nasty, half-frozen, half-quickmud state of the backyard...

I have one brilliance fern (grows both orange and green fronds) growing like gangbusters, no other signs of life. I'm gonna have to get more of those! This one is ahead of the forsythia and hellebores, even!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here