Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jitsmith

What hope?

jitsmith
10 years ago

I inherited care 5 roses mid-summer last year, after ca 10-15 yrs of my landlord's neglect.

They're hard against a south-facing wall; two are planted in a 6 inch space between wall and concrete walk, the other three were in an equally neglected flower bed.

The only water they received prior to my taking care was whatever fell from the sky.

At irregular intervals they were whacked to the ground.

They have bloomed every year I can remember, in decreasing numbers. Medium large pink fading to white flowers, long arching canes.

I took over last yr after the few scattered blooms had gone, added MG rose food 2-3x, watered regularly, nothing else. Lots of large canes going everywhere.

Last fall the landlord came into the yard and decided to help - by whacking them back to about 1 foot high. He's agreed he won't do that again.

They're showing signs of life this year, green appearing on shoots, red-green on canes.

So - where do I go from here? The eastern-most one gets very little sun, was a real sprawler last year, the others could have used some pruning I think but looked sorta like what I expect roses to look like.

Is it worth trying to save the shaded one?

Will the 3 in the flower bed be compatible with a newly-installed (this spring) perennial garden, or are water/fert reqs too different?

Can roses as old as these (at least 15 yrs) be transplanted successfully if they won't work in the flower bed?

Any care advice from this point on?

Comments (3)