Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eprepr

Should I let it grow freely

eprepr
10 years ago

Hi,
As you can see it is growing! A lot of new buds, my questions is should I get rid of some of the weaker ones and let it focus on the stronger ones? If so, how do I do it so I don't hurt the plant?

Another question, anything I can do now to prep for less bug / fungus issues in the summer?

Thanks,
Sean

Comments (4)

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

Me I would prune very slightly..that thin little twig in the middle slightly to the left would go

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

For a new, immature plant I only take off dead wood. You need to feed a growing root ball and leaves feed the plant. Are you going to plant this or is it staying in a pot?

The only thing you can do to prep for bugs and fungal diseases is keep them healthy. If you have those problems in your area you really can't do much about it ahead of time. If the plant is healthy it will be better able to fend off any damage.

If you're going to do a regular spray program for diseases start now and be religious about doing it. Find out what diseases are prevalent in your area and use the proper product for those diseases. It's a good idea to rotate two different ones so the disease does not become immune to a certain product. But don't just buy two different name brands. Be careful to read the labels and find out what the active ingredient is because many different brand name products will use the same active ingredient and then you haven't succeeded in rotating anything.

Never spray for bugs until you've seen them and properly IDed them. Since a lot of insect sprays only work on contact with the bug, spraying when they are not there is a waste of money and harmful to the environment. And until you know exactly what bug you have and what works on it you could be using a product that is not effective for the ones that show up. There are some insecticides that are systemic but they still may not be effective for the bugs you have or will get later.

READ the labels carefully and completely and FOLLOW all the instructions on any product you use in the garden. Even the ones that are "organic" are some type of chemical and can have precautions listed.

• eprepr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, I am going to wait a little bit then.
    Seil, yes the plant has been in the pot for a year, and I plan to keep it there.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I agree with Seil. Leave every leaf that plant grows alone until it shows you it's finished with it. Every leaf produces food it needs to do what you want it to do. All the remaining growth contains stored nutrients from last year. Any you remove, removes its share of food reserve. If the plant was large and well established, that wouldn't make a lot of difference. At this stage, it can make a great deal of difference. Kim