Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses I picked yesterday.

Posted by aptosca CA9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:13

I wanted to pick them before the next big storm came in this afternoon and wrecked them. This is the earliest I have ever had this many roses and I didn't even pick them all. Included are Double Delight, Mr. Lincoln, JFK, Brandy, Purple Passion, Magenta, and Josephs Coat. I am enjoying them though DH says one of them has a fragrance that is way too strong, probably Double Delight. I picked 4 of those and you can smell it through out the whole house. I like it. He calls it a real "stinker". LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses I picked yesterday.

beautiful. My roses are all budded like crazy, but just refuse to bloom!

o

What a beautiful bunch of roses, thanks for sharing!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:22

That's very beautiful...DD has a strong, acrid chemical note to this nose, but I still love it. Fragrance can intrigue and arrest and mystify--not simply be sweet.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:20

Fantastic! :)

o

What a wonderful bouquet. The Double Delights really stand out--and I'll bet they do fragrance-wise also!

Kate

o

Beautiful!!! Isn't it wonderful to have roses from your own garden! What a treat for us too.
Carol

o

Thanks everyone. I am so happy I picked them before the heavy rains hit. We don't usually get roses till the end of the rainy season late April where I live in CA. Everything is coming in early this year.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 16:01

Beautiful bouquet! Love the DOUBLE DELIGHTs! Yeah, I've got blooms and buds all over the place, and the rain has ruined many of them. And the irises are coming on now too.and getting pummeled. I know I shouldn't complain about it because we really NEED this rain badly, and I'm glad we're getting a bit of a snowpack up in the Sierras, but I'm sick of rain already! I guess I wouldn't object so much if we had more of a break. I hate it when we get torrential downpours that don't let up and the cold is making my body ache. Just when I was beginning to feel better. Oh well, in a few weeks we'll have tons of blooms and be happy and warm again. Just gonna have to fight the mildew and B/S afterwards tho...

o

I am in the SFO Eastbay Delta area, So I have gotten rain, but my rose buds are just starting to open. I had blooms (David Austins) until early January and then they rested.
I now have many unopened buds. The only one to open so far is Olympiad. I disparaged this rose when it was only one year old. It grew up and turned into a beauty. I cut one partially opened blossom on Sunday and it is now not yet half open. Wow, what color. And on HMF many said that it had not scent. Mine has a lovely tea scent. Not strong, but just perfect.

Aptos,
What a bright and healthy bouquet. Of yours, Brandy is the only rose that I have and she's 'bustin' at the seems.

Happy Spring all,

andreark

o

Very beautiful. Your roses are far ahead of mine. It is so nice to see a bouquet like that!

o

My first bouquet, too, from yesterday.

o

And I tried to rush out and get mine before the rain came and wrecked them--but then I jinxed the rain and we hardly got any, darn it!!

o

DrPekeMom - What is the name of the dark red old garden rose? Beautiful flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here