Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall of roses without a fence?

Posted by northtexasdude 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 15:26

Hi All,
Has anyone grown a boundary wall of roses, without there being a fence to train them on? I was thinking about getting some that create large mounds when left alone such as Blush Noisette. I have a very long north facing side yard that borders a street and gets full hot northTexas sun. Irrigation is not a problem.
Instead of installing a fence along the curb, I was thinking of just letting thick mass plantings of roses grow, especially ones that get huge. These roses would be left to grow as they want. No pruning or maintenance except for maybe pegging. I am too cheap have a fence installed, but am fine with spending $$ on roses :) . Any ideas and any pictures??? thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall of roses without a fence?

Informal rose hedge???

Sure. You can do that.

Jeri

o

thanks, any suggestions on varieties that grow the largest in a hot Texas climate (7)? Not into Knockouts, and already have a section of HT's, so I was thinking along the lines of Blush Noisette and Buff Beauty to allow to grow wild. Thanks for any suggestions!

o

For Texas? Tea Roses! They do very well in there.

Check the Antique Rose Emporium, and maybe Chamblees, for suggestions, but if you want BIG, 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' is a good TX rose, and I think she can go 8 ft. wide there, if not cut back. Another big one is 'Le Pactole,' and all of the Cochets ('Maman Cochet,' 'Niles Cochet,' and 'White Maman Cochet') can make big plants.

They'll be generous bloomers, and once-established they'll demand less water than most Hybrid Musks.

Jeri

o

I recently created a hedge but alternated roses with other plants.
Have you thought ahead as to what your plan will be when they are larger and one might get RRD?

o

sorry, double post

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 18:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here