Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

How do I get this look?

zaphod42
10 years ago

I snagged this link off of a Paul Zimmerman blog. How do they get the roses to look like that? It looks like its just a single post with the canes tied together low. What kind of rose are they using and why? Are these climbers? What would be required to duplicate? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:240091}}

Comments (8)

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

I believe that is pillaring or it could be a weeping standard. I believe paul has a video up on how to pillar roses, I really have no experience on how to do standards, weeping or otherwise.

• User
    10 years ago

I think the main requirements are flexible canes and regular pruning to prevent too much lignification. Essentially, they are pillar roses - simply wrapped round a pole (at an angle between30 - 60 degrees from the vertical) and tied in. Some roses are easier than others - the wichurana/noisette ramblers bred by Barbier for example. Blairii 2 is another good candidate while stiff climbers such as Altissimo or Meg are just too recalcitrant to allow for the bending and tying. The multiflora ramblers tend to be too bushy while remontant roses require careful trimming to avoid long laterals flailing about - often, older canes can be cut midseason and their place taken by a promising lateral......although, I find the once flowering ramblers perform extremely well in this situation since they are pruned after flowering, taking older canes from the base and training new green canes throughout the summer, allowing the wood to ripen and flower well the following season. I will try and find a list of appropriate roses (Tony Lord has a useful collection in his 'Designing with Roses' book).

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

They aren't wrapped around the pole. Just tied in. Though the flower form doesn't look right, it's something I've seen done with HPs - they are the right size and shape.

A somewhat related object - Captain Samuel Holland tied to an iron pillar. I don't like heavily manicured roses, so it isn't nearly as 'tight' as those roses are. Neither of us would probably like that.
    {{gwi:240093}}

• prairielaura
    10 years ago

Antique Rose Emporium does something similar, more formal. They send climbers like Parade up through the center of a fountain-shaped metal form and then let them grow crazy out the flared top. The form is maybe rebar...it is not solid. Makes a beautiful show.

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does Antique Rose Emporium use something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Essex Trellis at Gardener's Supply

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Paul Zimmerman video was great at explaining. Now I just need to pick a rose that it will work with.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

You guys look at that photo and ask "How can I grow pillar roses like that?"

I look at the same picture and all I can ask is "Why do I waste my time weeding and mulching?"

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Zaphod, the concept is similar to the Essex Trellis but it must be much sturdier with larger spacing for the canes. The "umbrella" top would need to droop a bit more too.
    Susan