Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a long and weak rose?

Posted by NOACCEPTANCE772 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 16:26

Hello all!

So, earlier, I did buy two hybrid tea roses.
One of them is National Trust, and it is doing splendid.
On every stem, short or long, it is bursting with flower buds! :D (I planted it in fertilized soil. Is this why? Can you please share photos of your own roses discussed here? I love seeing Other people's roses! :)...)
And then there is Blue Ribbon.
This rose is doing alright, except for, it is growing too long. there are four canes. 3 of them producing small growth and the thickest is producing one thick cane. The problem with the thick cane is that is it getting TOO long!
I am afraid that it will be long, weak and easy to tear by the wind. Or worse, torn off by a flower.
What do I do? I cannot stake it as the diameter of my pot is small and if I stake it, the cane will probably tear :(
And P.S. Those who owned the roses discussed here, can you tell me about them from your own personal experience?

Thanks! (^^)/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a long and weak rose?

Where are you located, geographically? I ask because it looks as if your rose is indoors, and that is NOT a place it will be happy long term. It needs to go outside.

Jackie

o

I am living in Nottingham.
You are 100% right about your guess, you know.
I keep it indoors because of the crazy weather and it's condition.
Everyday, there's strong wind, then rain, then hail, then drizzling.
And that would tear this poor lil guy to pieces :(

o

Not familiar with Blue Ribbon. The rose in your picture reminds me of Dr. Huey. Is your plant grafted?

I haven't grown that many HTs, but all of those I have grow straight up. If it is indeed BR, it might be a special one because of the growth habit (and not to mention it seems thornless.)

If it is indeed the dear Doctor, you might not get flower in its first year at all.

o

Nah, I do not think it is doctor.
It is grafted, but all the growth comes from the graft and it has only 5 leaves on each set. I remember that Heuy has 7.
Plus, I remember reading that almost all the lavender, or roses with "Blue" in their names are thornless and have such stems.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 5:42

Not really much you can do until your weather improves. It needs to be outside and in the ground. You can stake roses to protect the canes in windy areas.

o

• Posted by curdle 9b, Australia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 7:21

It could be shooting up like that because its trying to reach for the light...you tend to get long, leggy and rather sappy growth in low light conditions. Being inside in Nottingham in March, it probably wouldn't help much even if you put it on a windowsill. And that's apart from all the humidity lack of air circulation issues. Is there any where you have a back porch or a sheltered corner you can put it out on?

o

I guess you guys are right :(
Nah, there is no such place.
I bought canes and twine so I am going to place it outside as there's no more risk of frost. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here