Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail order Bareroot

Posted by intris 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 16:27

So, I ordered some bare root roses from bloomingbulb.com and they arrived in the mail today. I'm not sure what to make of them since this is my first mail order experience.

I ordered the following: the generous gardener, the lady of shalott, and jubilee celebration. The Generous Gardener came with 4 decently sized canes, one injured to the point where I'll have to cut it off. The Lady of Shalott has some damaged roots I'll have to cut off. Jubilee Celebration has blackened ends on the canes.

They all came in moist plastic bags, no other packaging. All three smell horrid. They are green and it looks like the roots are long and mostly healthy.

So my question, are my bushes doomed or will they rebound (I don't want to complain)? D:

Edit: I finally found a way to explain the scent. they smell like the inside of an aquarium museum.

This post was edited by intris on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 16:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail order Bareroot

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:27

The smell is from being sealed in a too moist bag during shipping. Get them out of the bags, clean them up where they need pruning and plant them as soon as possible. They should recover.

o

Thanks for the encouragement Seil. They are currently out of their bags and soaking in water. Here is a photo of the jubilee celebration (the bucket next to it has some bare roots I got from lowe's).

I see we live in the same zone (6b). When do you think is a good time to plant the bushes? I was planting them in containers to hold them over until it was "safe."

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:29

Those look fine. The canes are good and green and not wrinkled. Just prune off anything that's damaged or unhealthy looking.

I don't know exactly where you are but it's too soon to plant here. The ground is still frozen. A rule of thumb would be to plant when the forsythia bloom in your area. That usually means the soil has thawed and warmed to a sufficient temperature for growth to happen. For me that's usually mid-April weather permitting. Although lately the weather has that all screwed up, lol.

Yes, you can pot them temporarily. If you have a garage keep them there. If you have to keep them inside put them under lights if you can. Any fluorescent light will do. Either way keep a close watch on watering. You do not want them to dry out. Pot them with good potting soil in pots that have good drainage. I wouldn't suggest fertilizer until they are planted. You don't want them putting on a ton of new growth until you can get them outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here