Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klynn24

Roses - Long Running Script

klynn24
12 years ago

Has anyone encountered "gardenweb.com is not responding due to a long-running script" problem. When I click on roses in order to access postings, a box with above notation appears.I have to delete notation in order to move on. Once I select a posting, box reappears. Each time I want to move forward I get this notation. I sent e-mail re: technical problems (even that was a challenge due to box reappearing thus blocking me from automatically moving forward). Sorry to post a non-rose question--would really appreciate feedback/suggestions. Thanks

Comments (42)

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Yes, I get it too. I thought I had a virus or something. I'm completely a techno idiot - so I have no suggestions.
    Carol

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    12 years ago

Here, too.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I'm still having to use right click, open to get into anything. If I try to just left click on something it locks up my computer and I have to shut down my web browser and start over.

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Yep, mine too. If you use Internet Explorer 9, it is easy to shut it down, though. A box at the bottom of the screen opens automatically and gives you the option to turn it off and let you through to the page, and it doesn't take long to do that. But you need to do that each time you open a new thread.

So if you are using one of the older internet explorer versions, go to this link and update it to Internet Explorer 9. While it won't do away with the problem altogether (because it is a gardenweb technical problem), it will make it easier to deal with in the meantime.

It probably is caused by gardenweb's links to advertisers, and gardenweb puts its advertisers' needs above its users' needs. Follow the money.

Here is a link that might be useful: microsoft download site

• aklinda
    12 years ago

I'm having this same issue and it is driving me crazy - I was afraid it was my computer. It's really slowing down browsing this website. Maybe I'll stay away for a little while until they fix it.

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

Yes, same problem here.
    Molly

• jktx55
    12 years ago

Same problem here.

• callie25
    12 years ago

I was beginning to think it was my computer. I visit Home Decorating and after clicking on a thread, I literally wait 30 sec to 1 min for it to open. This only started happening in the last week or two. I will stop visiting as I don't have time to wait & wait. Love the site though.

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

I just got it and closed the box and the thread came up, but as it was closing I saw a box I could check that said, "Don't Show Me Again"... or something like that. I'm going to click that box on the next thread I open. I think it is just the code for the graphics or their advertising pop-ups, but that is only a guess.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• kstrong
    12 years ago

I think I fixed it. Been doing some research and trying some things and came to this page on Microsoft's Internet Explorer site (I use Internet Explorer 9).

Microsoft link

Scroll half way down the page until you see the "microsoft fix it" logo with the picture of the little man in it. Click that. Then let that little program run through its paces. Easy peasy.

Worked for me.

Kathy

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thanks for researching that Kathy. I'm on Windows 7, IE9 all updated and current. I was running Garden Web on Firefox without issue until this evening when GW began locking up Firefox and shutting it down. I switched over to IE so I could stop the script and found your Fix It post. I've run it twice without resolution. It still runs long and requires stopping the script. Now, I am also getting, "Garden Web not responding", which shuts down the window and starts it again. I wish they'd get things straightened out as it used to be. Very frustrating! No other site I frequent has any kind of issue, so it must be a Garden Web thing. Kim

• lucillle
    12 years ago

I have a Mac and I'm not having any of these issues so far.

• daisyhair
    12 years ago

I am getting it too.. DH who is a computer programmer said the web master will have to fix it..
    I sent GardenWeb an email just now...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear your troubles. My computer is having no problems with GW (I have IE--fairly recent, but not #9). Hope GW gets it straightened out. Could it be caused by some server some of you have to route through?

Good luck.

Kate

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Hmmm- it is still working fine for me. No long running scripts here as a result of something I did last nite, so I'm not going to touch it now, lol. I never did upgrade to Windows 7 here as Vista home pro came with this computer and still seems to work fine on everything I use it for, and I have some law-office type programs that are pretty persnickety.

The only other thing I can think of, Kim, is a change that I did not "undo" after it didn't work was add "Gardenweb.com" to my Compatibility view menu. You might try that out.

To do that, bring up the tools menu in Windows -- (hit the "alt" key). Then select "Tools" and then in the drop down select "Compatibility View Settings." Add "Gardenweb.com" to the websites there. The point of compatibility view is to let older websites run on newer versions of Windows, so that might be a good thing to do anyway for this old grandpa of a site. Or else, compatibility view might be automatic on Windows 7. (I don't know anything about Windows 7).

Hope something gets it better for you. But as I say, mine is fixed, so if you root around enough, you will probably get it done too. It seemed to me that it was whatever that little "fix it" tool did that fixed it, as I haven't had the "long running script" problem even once since I ran that thing.

Kathy

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Kim........

Clicking the box in my previous post didn't work. But when I just click the "X" to close the message box while using FF, the thread opens and FF does not get locked up.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• taoseeker
    12 years ago

Gardenweb installes a ton of tracking stuff on your computer through java/flash run commercials. There's LSO cookies, they have literally 10 ad networks and 12 companies like google adsense, tracking any user. Garden web is the worst in that sense. You could easily block some of it, with extenstions in Firefox like "Better Privacy" that stops LSO cookies, and "Do Not Track Plus" for tracking stuff. The most used browsers have addons for this, Opera, Firefox, and I think Internet Explorer too. At least getting rid of LSO cookies helps a lot with scripts running, unfortunately they don't get deleted when you empty browser history. This should help with popups too.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

I've been getting it too. I just upgraded to Firefox 10 and thought it was due to that but maybe not, since I haven't been on this forum for a while. I've checked the 'do not show again' box and told it to stop the script.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Nope, still doing it. Pretty annoying. Guess they don't believe that people will stop using their forum if they get too annoying.

• taoseeker
    12 years ago

Today I upgraded to Firefox 11, those updates come fast !!

• socks
    12 years ago

Try going to the top of your screen where the address is and clicking on that torn piece of paper. That worked for me. It says "compatibility view" when you put the pointer over it.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Kathy's (kstrong) recommendation is what the GardenWeb people told me to do (but the site is still slow for me):
    Hi there,

This is an issue for members using IE9 browser. At the top of the browser, in the address bar, there is a small icon that looks like a torn piece of paper -- it's called Compatibility View. If you click on that icon, it should stop the error message.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

Sincerely,

GardenWeb Staff

• kentstar
    12 years ago

I had that problem till I also clicked on "compatability view" at the top of the page. Now, no problems so far...

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Hot dang, Kenstar! Bless you! That has done more than anything else. I did email Garden Web to alert them to the long running script, though I'm sure others have, also. After using your "Tools" and "Compatability View" tip, it so far seems to be working as it is supposed to. Thank you! Kim

• Glenburn
    12 years ago

Yellow to the other 24 posters on this subject, I have just read all of them. I have just gone to the "tawn bit of paper" and clicked on it, now all is good, thanks to all thta went before me.
    Regards David.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Compatibility View does fix it on IE9, but must be clicked on each time you open IE, such as after shutting down. Clicking on the "stop script" icon on Firefox 11 is required repeatedly as it appears to only stop it that one time. Even after stopping the script, it still prevents 11 from working as seamlessly and quickly as it does on every other site I use it for. Firefox needs a "Compatibility View", too. Kim

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Compatibility View does not need to be clicked on each time you open IE9 if you add "gardenweb.com" to the list of sites on the "Compatibility View settings" page which is in the Tools menu.

To get to the tools menu, hit the "alt" key, which should open a bar just below the URL of the webpage at the top of your screen with the word "tools" on it, and then you can select "tools" and then you can select "compatibility view settings" and it will open a menu with a place to add all the sites that need this function, namely the old ones that were in place before IE9 made things more complicated from the web page's point of view. And while you have that menu open, you may as well put ALL the old websites that you commonly use in there. Probably will help all of them.

• daisyhair
    12 years ago

I am not on IE... I am on Firefox and just updated a few min. ago.

I am still getting it.

It has to do with something GW is running.. it's not us.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

It just started today. I'm running Firefox, and this is very annoying.

I agree that it is something GW has done, and since whatever they've done is incompatible with EVERYONE's software, it's up to them to fix it.

Jeri

• daisyhair
    12 years ago

So I just switched from my new Firefox browser to my old IE browser (which I hate using).. set IE in compatibility mode and GW is loading fine now.. that means more than likely they are using some java script that is now obsolete on new versions of browsers and. it. is. pretty. irritating.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I uninstalled the auto-update from Explorer and that seemed to take care of it...so far :)

• klynn24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First of all, THANKS to all of you for responding to my post. I was hesitant to do so in that it wasn't rose related and thought it might annoy some of you in that respect. I was waiting for our computer guru friend to return from vacation so he could walk me through some of your suggestions but lo and behold the annoying long-running script is no more as of this morning! Now I think it was something GW did. Thanks again for your interest and suggestions.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I'm glad it's fixed on your Firefox, it won't work on mine right now. No response from GW about my complaint email yet either. I guess I stick with IE9 for the time being. Thanks, Kathy, for the suggestion of adding GW to the list for compatibility view. That fixed that! Kim

• klynn24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke too soon. Only a couple of hours later, back to same problem. I've e-mailed GW twice in the last week and NO response--very frustrating! Very perplexing since it worked earlier this morning--first time in 6 or 7 days.

• lookin4you2xist
    12 years ago

here also . the minute I click on the page the message comes up.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I emailed GW yesterday and have had two responses already today. I am impressed! Kim

PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:
    GardenWeb mail response mc1713221917072ec rosa

Hi Kim,

If you place your mouse on the link you want to view and right click on it, a small menu will pop up and you can choose 'open in a new tab'. The page should open in the new tab without encountering the script error. Not an optimum fix, but it works!

Best regards,

Tamara

>To: editor@gardenweb.com
    >Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
    >Subject: Re: COMMENT: long running script

>
    >Thank you, Compatibility View was discovered in the thread on GW and is
    >working on IE. Unfortunately, I prefer Firefox and am unable to use Firefox
    >with GW until the script error is corrected. Might you please know of a fix
    >for Firefox in the short term?
    >
    >Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it! Kim
    >
    >
    >In a message dated 3/19/2012 1:35:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
    >editor@gardenweb.com writes:
    > >PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINE IN ANY RESPONSE:
    >GardenWeb mail response mc1635541912546ec rosa
    > >Kim,
    > >I am sorry you are having difficulty in using the site. We are aware of
    >the problem and are working to correct it.
    > >In the meantime, if you are using Internet Explorer to access the site,
    >you can use Compatibility View to stop this error from happening. At the top
    >of your browser, in the address bar, there is a small icon that looks like
    >a torn piece of paper -- it's called Compatibility View. If you click on
    >that icon, it should stop the error message.
    > >Let me know if you continue to have problems.
    > >Sincerely,
    > >GardenWeb Staff
    > >>To: editor@gardenweb.com
    >>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:52:55

>>Subject: COMMENT: long running script
    > >>[This message originated at GardenWeb]
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>There is a problem with your site, Gardenweb.com with a long running
    >>script. You will find a thread on the Roses forum about it. I'm sure
    >you've had
    >>other notices about it. Nothing I've been able to do corrects it on any
    >>browser I use. It locks up both my Mozilla Firefox (latest version,
    >updated
    >>automatically) as well as my IE 9, Windows 7.
    >>
    >>I frequently visit the Roses and Antique Roses forums on GW, but this
    >issue
    >>will keep me from going there until it's fixed. Please address it ASAP as
    >>it's causing grief for many of your regular users.
    >>
    >>Thank you,
    >>
    >>Kim Rupert
    >>
    >>
    > >

• taoseeker
    12 years ago

Are everybody using Firefox having this problem? I wonder why I'm not then? I do have the latest update Firefox 11, but maybe it's the addons I have that handle cookies and running scrips differently. They are really handy, I use "BetterPrivacy" and "Do No Track Plus" but there are many to choose from. Especially the "BetterPrivacy" extension is really helpful, it enables you to easily delete LSO cookies after each session and has solved my issues with "script not responding" and "scrip is running, in danger of making you computer slow or unresponsive", well that kind of thing. If you are new to it, you find and install addons under "Tools" - "Extensions" and then a page pops up in browser with search function. It is easy.

• iowa_jade
    12 years ago

It makes the site unusable.

Nuff said.

F.L.

• rebeccah_2009
    12 years ago

this is the first time I've been able to get on here for a few days because of it

• christy2828
    12 years ago

They fixed it. Happens from time to time. They call it 'Garden Gnomes.' It's frustrating but they always resolve it in a few days!!

• matt
    11 years ago

Adding Do No Track Plus as suggested above as an add-on to firefox resolved this.

• altorama Ray
    11 years ago

I think if you go to Tools, click on 'Advanced', and click the box next to "Disable Script Debugging" to turn it on, then, click the box next to "Display a notification about every script error" to turn it off, it should help.
    I'm using an older version of Mozilla/Firefox with the 'ad-aware' add-on, I haven't had any problems yet.