Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
update on pruning roses in KY

Posted by pembroke 6--Louisville KY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:32

Bullitt Co KY pruned roses today, had to cut most all the way to ground. No green outside, no white inside. Don't be fooled by brown canes, mine were brown all the way through. Most of mine are own root so I hope they will come back from underground. I have one that has started to sprout from a cane close to the ground.( Ebbs Tide) The rest look awful, I can only hope:( Pembroke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update on pruning roses in KY

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 17:46

Yes its been a cold winter... I'm going to let ours start budding out alittle then I'll cut off what appears to be dead. Things still dormant here.

Anyhow I've cut own roots to the ground before and they came back just fine. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck!

o

I have also cut to the ground and mostly not own roots. Hope they have a sense of humor.

o

Sing a little song of spring to those roots and I hope that polar vortex won't return next year.

o

I`m in Louisville,KY. and have not pruned yet. I hope to start next week. I have nothing but black canes and I am very concerned,You`all have given me some hope. I have never cut to the soil….this will be a first! lesley

o

Lexington, KY, this week most of mine got pruned to the ground. I left some brown/black canes that will be leveled later. I am more concerned about my roses on fort. rootstock. Can they make it pruned so low?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here