Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cast1_gw

Looking for a white rose

CAST1
11 years ago

Before I start please forgive my ignorance about roses. I don't know if you rose gardeners have terminology that we simple mortals don't use or if you think white is a tacky color.

Many years ago we had a rather large rose bush in our house that my uncle got from a friend. I think it was called John F Kennedy or something but it was very beautiful. It produced huge blooms and was very hardy of our intense summer heat.

I have been looking around at local nurseries but have been unable to find one. Is there any reliable online stores that sell John F Kennedy roses? i want to gift one to my mother since she loved that rose.

Comments (10)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Roses are such a huge subject there is ALWAYS something new to learn, even when you've been growing them for decades. So never worry about asking questions about roses!

A good resource for finding a rose for sale, and for rose information too is helpmefind. The "buy from" tab has sellers. Feel free to ask about vendors here, someone has probably ordered from them and can share their experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: helpmefind jfk

• Jeannie Cochell
    11 years ago

If you're in the Phoenix area - Bakers, Berridges and Summer Winds all have or had the John F Kennedy, or JFK, this year.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Hi, Cast, and welcome to the forum!

JFK is a pretty classic white rose and should be fairly easy to locate. Although you can probably find it bagged at a big box store somewhere do yourself a favor and get a nice potted, healthy one from a nursery. In the long run it will do much better for you. It's a lovely rose but it didn't like my high humidity.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

David Austin sells John F. Kennedy--I order from them a lot and always get large bareroot plants.

You were planning on bareroots to be planted in the garden, weren't you? Most online nurseries send bareroots.

Jackson and Perkins also sell bareroot J&P Kennedy rose

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: JFK rose at David Austin

• roseteacher
    11 years ago

I was just at Lowe's this morning, and they had JFK roses with buds in gallon containers on sale for $6.44. The plants seemed healthy. My son lives in AZ so I know you have Lowe's. Hope that helps!

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Don't forget to buy some mulch. Keep a few inches over the soil at all times to keep the roots cool and moist. Roses in heat need mulch to be happy.

• CAST1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to thank all of you for your help! You are all informative and kind people.

I will check out some of the nurseries you guys recommended.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Cast1, you might want to check out Pope John Paul II as well. He gets rave reviews on this forum, and is supposed to have one of the best fragrances for a white rose.

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

You can't beat Iceberg as a wonderful white rose. Blooms all the time and well, what more can be said about it except it's one of the greats.

• Molineux
    11 years ago

I understand how you feel. My late father had his favorite rose (Mister Lincoln) and whenever I see a perfectly shaped velvety red bloom I think of him. Do yourself a favor and purchase two of JOHN F. KENNEDY. That way you'll have one for yourself. JFK does produce beautifully formed large blooms that possess a very strong fragrance; something that can't be said for many white Hybrid Teas.

Image of JFK by Jeaneli-5b Nova Scotia at Hortiplex

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz