Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1101_gw

Yves Piaget Doppelganger

11 years ago

I have searched in vain and have not been able to find a Yves Piaget. I asked all the usual suspects and nothing.

I am so desparate I played the lottery and ordered from Summerstone Nursery. It's a crap shoot no telling what I may or may NOT get.

My question is . . . is there any rose you know that bears a strong resemblance to Yves Piaget.

Thanks in advance.

Brenda

Comments (12)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Regan Nursery sells this rose, but they have stopped taking orders for the spring 2013 shipping season.

Roses Unlimited sells this rose as well. One can email them to inquire if it is in stock.

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

Roses Unlimited lists Yves Piaget on their list of roses they carry, you may want to give them a call. (Not sure what Doppelganger stands for? They list Yves Piaget, not Yves Piaget Doppelganger. I looked it up on helpmefind, beautiful rose!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

A doppelganger would be an uncanny and unrelated look-alike, coming from the old idea of a "paranormal double of a living person." Nowadays, if someone said "I saw your doppelganger at the mall" it would mean "there was someone who looked JUST LIKE YOU that I thought it WAS you....but it wasn't."

Oh, and I have no ideas about a doppelganger for 'Yves Piaget' but I will say this -- no matter how close the match, if you really want the real thing, the substitute will never completely "do" for you. I'd say to just hold out until you find what you really want -- especially since if you find it later, you'll end up getting it anyway.

:-)

~Christopher

• wanttogarden
    11 years ago

David Austins Princess Alexandra of Kent comes very close to YP.

I have 3 YP: One own root, one grafted but planted deep, and one with graft above soil level: all one cane wonders. Finally this year I planted them together, 18" apart in a triangle formation.

My second year PAK is fuller and almost as tall as those three.

I let you know how they will compare to each other this season.

FJ

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Where are you located?

I picked up my Yves locally and know of a few places that sell it. You might want to call around to nurseries (not HD or Lowes big box type) and see if they can get it in for you.

• wanttogarden
    11 years ago

If you go to Star Roses website they will give you a list of nurseries they sell to in your area. Then call them to see if they have them or can they place an order for you.

FJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Star Roses Near you

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys for your quick responses.
    I have tried RU, Longago Roses, Reagens and nada. ;-(.

I am located in Meridian MS which has only a couple of independent nurseries other than the big box stores. Check those too. . . nothing but Knockouts there.

I will take a look and PAK and Star Roses website.

If nothing else I will have to be patient. RU says that will hold a couple for me next year.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Peter Mayle has a vibrant pink color to it, similar to Yves.

Yves is worth waiting for, the color and fragrance are fabulous.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

There is a rose remarkably like 'Yves', (the flower, not the plant) which is the Hybrid Perpectual 'Paul Neyron', but oh lordamighty did that thing get disease.

I'd wait for 'Yves'.

• wanttogarden
    11 years ago

Something to consider, Regan's YP is grafted vs. RU's which is own root. Depending where you are, it may make a difference.

Good luck,
    FJ

Original Author
    11 years ago

FJ,

I live in MS. I tend to gravitate toward own root. How will it differ if it is grafted rather than own root?

• lagomorphmom
    11 years ago

My YP (grafted) never thrived either. Pained me to shovel it as the occasional flowers were really exceptional, and I'm a sucker for frilly petals.

Peter Mayle lasted longer and was a beast before mildew finally took it's toll. I would say the flowers look nothing like YP, but there were beautiful in their own right, especially in size, 'bout as big as a grapefruit.