Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oxboy555

Red canes vs. Green canes?

oxboy555
10 years ago

What does it mean when new canes come out red versus those that come out green from the get-go? I can't tell if it's just based on the type/cultivar of rose or not.

Any insight?

Comments (4)

• bobbyb123
    10 years ago

Generally all new rose growth is red and matures green, regardless of cultivator/type of rose. this is completely normal

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Well, not ALL new growth is red or reddish. It depends upon the specific genetics of the involved roses. Some are quite red while others are green, yellow-green, even blue-green. Julia's Rose traditionally expresses reddish new growth. I discovered, isolated and registered a golden mustard toned sport of it years ago which I named Golden Julia. It was as if all plant parts lost the gene for red/pink. Golden Julia's new growth is yellow green. Its flower color is as if the "copper and parchment" lost the pink. So, just as some of us have blond hair, black, brown or red hair, some roses have new growth which is redder while others have less to no red. It's normal. And, as was stated, some are quite reddish but lose those tones as the foliage matures. These three seedlings are from the same cross (same parents) raised last year. It all depends upon which genes the plant inherits.

{{gwi:242015}}
    {{gwi:242016}}
    {{gwi:242017}}

Then, this seedling (different parents) started rather purple-green, then turned quite red with the colder weather. It isn't deciduous, so the red leaves aren't falling, but returning to their green growing look. Kim
    {{gwi:242018}}

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Probably means it's a darker colored rose. There is more pigment in both the stems and the blooms and the two traits are linked (as you would expect them to be).

It's completely normal to have variation between varieties. If, however,you have two of the same variety and one has stems that are red-green and the other yellow-green, then the lighter green one is not getting enough sun.

• raymondo17
    10 years ago

We have what I believe is a climbing rose that stands about 15' high. Most of the blooms occur at the very top. I'm wondering if I should prune it back by about half way so the roses are more eye level? I'm a complete rose novice, so I'm not sure if that would be bad for the plant or not.

In the photo (linked below), the rose is mixed in with a jasmine plant in the front and a huge blackberry bush in the back, behind the fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:242014}}