Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon

Posted by Karla12345678 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 19:20

We have a home that is 110 yrs old. All gardens are overgrown with weeds, trees, vines. I have discovered a 25'x70' area of rose of sharons that are in range of 6' to 12' in height, very little blumage. I would like to separate and move them, but in need of any advice. Obviously they are very hardy, but seedlings abound as well. We have a bounty of dividings of many plants, so starting on this area is a good thing. I'm finding we need to tag plants throughout the seasons so to find them again! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon

The plant called "Rose of Sharon" is not a rose, but a species of Hibiscus (H. syriacus). While there will likely be people on this forum who are familiar with Hibiscus, your best bet is to ask on the actual Hibiscus forum. I'm putting a link to it below. Good luck!

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Forum at GardenWeb

o
RE: Rose of Sharon

Karla, "Althea" or Rose of Sharon, is an extremely hardy, persistent plant. They root EXTREMELY easily in water and (at least in my climate) can be dug, pruned and transplanted as long as they are still dormant (without leaves). They can be severely pruned and will explode back into growth and flower as much bushier plants. If you're in an area still experiencing severe winter weather, wait until your extremes are over and prune them after your chance of last frost. At that time, you can probably transplant them easily and safely. Just keep them watered if you aren't having rains. Good luck and have fun with them. They're great plants! Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here