Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheerbliss_gw

UPS Dude

sheerbliss
16 years ago

I live out in the middle of no where on a 10 arce lot. I have about 7 acres fenced in with an electric fence. I have 2 dogs that I chose, and 2 that just showed up and stayed. Mason and Dixon are large breed dogs and very friendly. Mason, a Chesapeake Retreiver, and Dixon, a Rottweiler, are rather hefty looking dogs. Well, I was in the greenhouse and I heard a car blowing a horn. It was the UPS truck, but I didn't see Mason and Dixon, and was wondering why they didn't give the alarm that someone was at the house. Why were they so quiet? Well, when I got to the truck, they were sitting inside the truck eating dog biscuits and the guy was getting my roses. UPS guy knows his job! My roses were from Heirloom.

Prairie Princess a replacement for an old virused one

Music Maker a replacement for an old virused one

Frederic Mistral a replacement for an old virused one

Golden Princess new to me

Distant Thunder new to me

{{gwi:242400}}

Donny

Comments (21)

• aprille
    16 years ago

Donny - your dogs are gorgeous! Got to love those UPS guys :o) - our dog Bella (she's a giant breed) totally adores our UPS guy (as do our two little girls) and he never leaves without giving Bella a scratch and pet. The other day we were getting home from an outing at the same time the UPS truck pulled up in front of our neighbours house, Bella was out the car in a flash and across the street - then stopped right in the middle of the street looking very confused. I go to get her and see a rather terrified looking UPS guy with the door closed shut on the truck - not our regular guy! lol. Bella was sooo disappointed - the poor guy was probably shaking all over to see a 120+ dog running at him.

Aprille

• triple_b
    16 years ago

they sound far better than the UPS folks up here. You're lucky if they get the right adress. I think they are all dyslexic which does NOT fly right when looking for house numbers.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Donny, what a hoot!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

I have to comment on this one. I have two beagles, Callie and Chloe, and the UPS man said he knows when we are home before he gets to our house because they run at him barking ( he says protecting us) and he said when we aren't here they just lay there and look at him. He usually talks to them and pets them but I don't know if he has ever given them a treat. At least he knows to slow down because between all of us over here we have about ten dogs between four homes. So "high five" to all the great UPS drivers out there delivering us our roses. Heres a pic of my sweet little babies. Thanks, Judy

{{gwi:242401}}

• sheerbliss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aprille, looks like you have a great UPS guy too.

I never suspected the dogs were in the truck eating dog biscuits. Cool guy!

Judy, your girls are pretty! One dog that took up with us is a beagle, he's very old. I have been calling him Little Bit. He stays very close to Dixon, never more than a few feet away. He thinks Dixon is the leader of the pack since he is the biggest.

{{gwi:242402}}

Donny

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

Little Bit is too sweet! He does look very old doesn't he? I'm glad he found a nice home with you. My two girls are sisters but are as different as night and day. Love em though!!! Judy

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

I've had the same U.P.S. guy for about 15 years. Years ago, when I had my yellow lab, Wicker, he was new to my route. He delivered my boxes and left. About 1/2 hour later he came back and asked if I was missing anything! My dog had jumped in his truck and went in the back to lay down..he said he almost had a heart attack when he went back there! she loved to ride..I used to have to really watch her when anybody came to the house, because an open car door was an invitation she just couldn't resist! The delivery guys for any company have to love dogs, or their job would be impossible! Donna

• katefisher
    16 years ago

I like all these stories about UPS guys that are good. We are lucky to have the same. A young man named John. Although we don't have dogs we have three cats one of which is my little child. His name is Bligh, weights about 20 lbs and will be 12 this year. That's my baby and he frequently hangs out on the porch to keep and eye (he only has one) on things. John is always so careful with Bligh it is really sweet! Approaches the front porch slowly, quietly, tries not to scare him. A few times packages have even been left in the driveway itself rather than the porch in the interest of not scaring the cats.

It's really nice. I think most of the UPS people are pretty courteous.

Kate

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

That is so cute to hear everyone's pet stories regarding the UPS guys!! Dogs are just the most special thing in the world to me. Makes me want to give them all a big hug and nice scratch behind the ears...

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Donny, I'm relieved to see your post & to learn that you continue to add to your already impressive collection. I've been wondering about your website & hoping that it's not down permanently.

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    16 years ago

Hi Donny,
    Sounds like you have moved to the land you bought a few years ago. Remember when I stopped at the rest stop near your new location about 3 years back, I walked around the area, thinking so this is where Donny is relocating too. Looked nice. Hope all went well and all is well.
    Jim

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Well I stand corrected. My Hortico order came today deliverd by a lady. I said "holy c***p that was quick, I just got my email yesterday saying it was on its way." She smiled. And I continued to say "I wasn't expecting them JUST yet and I still need to get them some horse poo." As I sat there gazing at the box in rapture my four year old slammed the door in her face.

• sheerbliss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is really cool to hear so many other good stories about our UPS guys and our pets. (I also have 6 cats.)

Windeaux, my web site may never go up again if it is left for me to do. I just dont have the patience or knowledge to deal with it. Plus, I really do stay more busy than I can handle. But if you are looking for something, let me know.

Hey Jim!!!
    That land up at Kerr Lake is still waiting for us! I ended up purchasing another piece of property that was closer to my parents and kids. I'm now off I-40 heading towards Wilmington, NC. I like the land around Kerr Lake better, but, kids and parents are much closer from here. We moved last January. Then we went through the drought. I have managed to get about 200 roses in the ground, only 800+ to go. My hubby purchased an auger!! He's a great man! I point and he digs, then mulches, then adds a drip line. Everything is coming along slowly. Eventually, everyone will be planted, I can hardly wait. Nice to hear from you!
    Donny

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

Donny, that is a great picture of your dogs. I used to think that those ol' UPS drivers were pretty sly, you know - bribing the dogs with those little biscuits to convince them not to bite the "good" UPS man, LOL. Well I have to say that our current guy must be a real dog lover because we come home to packages on our front porch bench - with a little pile of dog biscuits on top for our Phoebe. I'm sure she barks at him through the windows, but she can't see the place where he leaves the packages and biscuits so it's not that she will connect them with him at all. He just doesn't let her be left out of her treats just cause her folks work all day, ya know. :-)

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    16 years ago

Good to hear from you Donny! We've missed you and your posts. Glad things are going well.
    Jim

• Carrie_AZ
    16 years ago

WAS he cute LOL!!!! you know those UPS Dudes(as said in post title) they are always good looking, have you seen there calendar LOL!! Anyway my "UPS dude" also carrys dog treats. My dog Eddie happen to be outside with me when the "UPS dude" stopped, eddie went running towards the truck the "UPS Dude" calmed down my dog by giving him a treat. After the treat Eddie jumped up into the truck(give my dog a treat and you have a friend for life) then the "UPS Dude" had to bribe Eddie out of the truck with another treat. I asked him" if he keeps them in his truck to bribe unruley dogs", he said " yes, and that UPS recommends that they carry these treats to give to dogs and to get to know them so when they deliver packages to homes with dog owners the dog will get to know them, which in turn stops alot of dog bites. This is the reason for the treats all over the U.S. in the UPS trucks. I have to say my "UPS Dude" is really nice. I have live here in this town for 26 years and I have never met a mean "UPS dude" as a matter of fact I dated one in 1984 and almost married him before I met my husband.
    I found out a year or so ago that he died whcih really was a shame because he was such a gentleman, I think I made the right choice now that we have been married for 24 years now!
    Carrie

• Terry Crawford
    16 years ago

This is a funny thread. My BIL is a UPS dude. He is a dog lover also. They have an elderly black lab named Jack who is a very spoiled inside dog. I'll have to ask him about the dog treats.
    -t

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Thre are postmen around here who carry doggy treats too.

• Terry Crawford
    16 years ago

My BIL carries a 5-lb. bag with him on his routes. He said there was a German Shepherd on the route who was VERY aggressive and refused to even let him open up the door of his truck. After he started giving him treats, the dog was so friendly he would have led him to the family silver.

Pat said one poor old dog can't have treats any more because he has heart problems, and is so dejected when he pulls up and leaves without giving a customary treat. But his owner said no more treats, so Pat can't give him any. The dog just can't understand why he isn't getting any yummies anymore like he used to.

He said it was really sad last year for the doggies when the tainted pet food problem arose. He was afraid to hand out treats for awhile and his route regulars were so confused; they really look forward to hearing the big brown truck and they start salivating and then they got nothing but a scratch and a pet.

The little doggie across the street even gets a treat when Pat gets home at night from his route. He's enclosed in an electronic fence, and he throws him a treat. It infuriates his own dog, Jack, who doesn't want any treats given away that could be enjoyed by him.
    -TJ

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

I love these stories and love anyone who treats my girls like they should be treated. I too have slacked off on Callie and Chloe treats because their bellies were kinda getting huge. LOL!!

• teach
    15 years ago

TerryJean. Why npt suggest to UPS guy that he carry the baby carrots for treats. Better for the dogs, especially the one on a diet, no worry about being tainted (so far carrots seem ok, though spinach has been a problem.)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts