Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belinda's Dream

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 19:28

I planted Belinda's Dream at the end of last season. She had some nice blooms.

But this spring she has had BIG and HEAVY buds, so heavy they flop. Is this normal for her? Maybe the buds from the fall flush were smaller due to being planted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belinda's Dream

Is the plant stressed? Possibly wilting? I have two Belinda's Dream roses and they have never flopped or nodded for me except when the bloom is spent they tend to lean over as they drop petals but never while they are opening.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 20:56

Hmm...mine don't flop either, even when the blooms are the size of softballs :(

Tammy

o

Hmm

I am going to have to check, it was warm the past couple of days after some good rain (things are still pretty wet) I did test the drip system after a few months of it not being needed so maybe tomorrow she will look perky. Or maybe it is just too big of bud for baby growth? These buds are heavy

o

The first blooms on mine are very large, and I've heard this from others who grow it, but they don't flop.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 12:06

Mine flopped for two years at least. I used tomato cages to support them, then when the canes were strong enough cut the cage away. It does have a rather horizontal growth habit, mine have always been wider than tall, so when young, it flops. One of the parents is an old turn-of-the-century rambler or climber, so that horizontal-ness perhaps comes from there.

I've got a new BD and it's flopping just like the first two did. Also blooming and growing like crazy. Tomato cage and a little patience and all will be well.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 19:28

You could check to make sure that it's planted solid in the ground and not rocking. If there are air pockets it might be having some problems. It could also just be that it's a newer rose and it needs some time to mature. The blooms may be too big for the root ball to sustain adequately. Keep an eye on it and give it some time to settle in and put on some growth and see if it improves.

o

Is it own-root or grafted? My young own-roots BDs are floppier than the ones on Fortuniana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here