Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bareroots at Lowes

Posted by nastarana 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 19:53

in upsate NY. It just barely possible to plant now, snow having melted last week.

I saw, beside KO, Coral Dawn, Lilian Gibson (!), Don Juan, and a few others.

I took a chance on Coral Dawn and Lilian Gibson. LG was a fairly decent plant, CD had had its roots cut off too short. The cooler temps might be helpful, in that I hope the plants won't be too quickly pushing out leaves until the roots can recover. I planted both right away, even though the ground is too wet for preparing the vege beds yet, and mounded soil over the canes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bareroots at Lowes

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 23:25

I picked up Paradise, Deja Blue & Powerhouse about a month ago from Lowes...They're all in the ground, and Deja Bleu & Powerhouse are growing like crazy! Paradise had really short cut roots, so I'll have to see what happens with that one.

I didn't see Lillian Gibson or Coral Dawn at my Lowes...must be our different regions :)

Tammy

o

I took "Heirloom" off from my Chamblee's order and put in "The Prince", since I can get "Heirloom" grafted from Walmart.

I was at Walmart on March 12 and saw roses in big pots, and huge bareroots. There were lots of climbing roses and many HTs to choose. I saw "Heirloom" rose in a big pot (no leaves, but multiple large canes) for less than $8. I was ready to buy, but I'm not sure how thorny "Heirloom" is once fully grown. Any ideas? Thanks.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 16:14

Harumph! My Lowes never gets in anything exciting! Usually just a load of KOs and a handful of the same old ones every year. I was out shopping some this week but the only place that I saw roses was Big Lots and they looked so pathetic I passed on them. I'm waiting for Costco to get their's in because I got a $25 gift card for Christmas! Yippee, more roses!

o

Lowes is paying attention to what might grow in different regions!!

I was surprised to see Lilian Gibson. I had thought all the body bagged roses in the USA came from Texas. Can it be that someone in Tyler has been planning plantings for cold areas?

I also saw the horrible roses at Big Lots, a few weeks ago when snow was still on the ground. You would think, a simple phone call from headquarters to ask local managers about local weather conditions might serve the company well.

I do hope the Coral Dawn will grow.

o

Big Lots ranks has having the worst roses I've ever seen and they don't care how they look. While every store I know puts the body bags outside so they can get some sunlight. Big Lots keep them inside looking sick and yellow. The bags of dirt gets treated better.

o

The Walmart near my house had Lillian Gibson for $8. I purchased one and she's soaking in a bucket of water as I type this. LOL. I've read lots of good stuff on her and can't wait to see her blooms.

o

Strawberryhill - Heirloom for me is a stunning rose. I bought mine at Lowes 2 years ago, and it is now about 4'tall / 3' wide. The blooms are a beautiful medium purple with a wonderful fragrance. It has been extremely healthy for me, and I haven't even noticed the thorns.

o

My Coral Dawn and Lilian Gibson are now leafing out. I know that CD with the chopped roots would never have survived California heat and dryness. The price was around $8.

o

ive got to second the opinion on heirloom. a wonderful, wonderful rose. the color and form are really special.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here