Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasdude

red cascade as a companion?

northtexasdude
11 years ago

Hi All,
anyone ever grow Red Cascade as a companion or groundcover in a bed with other roses? I was thinking about planting a few extra Red Cascades in a bed that has some leggy HT's. Wondering if this would look good, so please post any pics if you have them!!! Would love to see!
If anyone has any other rose ground covers in with other 'taller' roses please let me know. thanks!

Comments (7)

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I'm trying that as well. One year in, and I'm not pleased. But you may have better luck. RC gets very long, quickly. Different habit than, say, sea foam. Hard to prune other roses, hard to mulch, constantly stepping on pieces of it. Just not working for me. And I really don't know how to use this rose, a climber I guess?

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, I agree. Only RC's flowers are miniature. He's very content to lay on the ground and run everywhere, but he'd be a nightmare that way. Try some Integrifolia clematis (non-vining) around/under your roses. That's what I'm planting this spring. Arabella and Durandii which are blue, and Ooh-la-la which is a very short (3' - 4') vining one (not Integrifolia) that I'm going to put under 3 Hermosas that get a bit bare in the summer. I really need to get planting!

Last year I planted a couple of Drift roses at the edge of a rose's canopy. I thought they'rd spread under the bigger rose - which they did but not exactly well. I don't think it was a good thing for any of them. Too much root competition. I have moved the Drift roses out of there.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

I used Red Cascade in a sloped hillside covered with rocks, letting it lay on top where it willed and literally 'cascading' down the slope. It worked well there - until it was time to get in there and prune or weed. I wouldn't like to have to tend other roses within RC's growing area...and I'm not sure that it would really cover up those naked knees like you're thinking it would...

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I agree with the others, it's too vigorous, and wants to climb. And tending the area is definitely something to think about, it does have thorns.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I'm training it on three small arbors that already had Don Juans on them. The DJs aren't spectacular bloomers but were gifts from my children so they aren't going anywhere. Like everyone says, this rose is very thorny, and I'm constantly hefting up runners off the ground and onto the arbors. the canes are so lax, it just sprawls all over until tied up. Having said that, I'm not displeased with it intertwined with the DJs. It had been blooming spectacularly until our last few freezes.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I agree with others that believe RC is not suitable as a groundcover. This rose is vigorous and very thorny and would be a nightmare to try to extricate from other roses/plants.
    Molly

• northtexasdude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone. I've been using Rosemary, Lavender and other traditional english garden base plants, but was hoping to find a traditional rose that would cover those legs. Kind of like a great big blob of roses against one wall, but I don't want them fighting for water or snuffing each other out.