Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red cascade as a companion?

Posted by northtexasdude 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 19:56

Hi All,
anyone ever grow Red Cascade as a companion or groundcover in a bed with other roses? I was thinking about planting a few extra Red Cascades in a bed that has some leggy HT's. Wondering if this would look good, so please post any pics if you have them!!! Would love to see!
If anyone has any other rose ground covers in with other 'taller' roses please let me know. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red cascade as a companion?

I'm trying that as well. One year in, and I'm not pleased. But you may have better luck. RC gets very long, quickly. Different habit than, say, sea foam. Hard to prune other roses, hard to mulch, constantly stepping on pieces of it. Just not working for me. And I really don't know how to use this rose, a climber I guess?

o

Unfortunately, I agree. Only RC's flowers are miniature. He's very content to lay on the ground and run everywhere, but he'd be a nightmare that way. Try some Integrifolia clematis (non-vining) around/under your roses. That's what I'm planting this spring. Arabella and Durandii which are blue, and Ooh-la-la which is a very short (3' - 4') vining one (not Integrifolia) that I'm going to put under 3 Hermosas that get a bit bare in the summer. I really need to get planting!

Last year I planted a couple of Drift roses at the edge of a rose's canopy. I thought they'rd spread under the bigger rose - which they did but not exactly well. I don't think it was a good thing for any of them. Too much root competition. I have moved the Drift roses out of there.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

I used Red Cascade in a sloped hillside covered with rocks, letting it lay on top where it willed and literally 'cascading' down the slope. It worked well there - until it was time to get in there and prune or weed. I wouldn't like to have to tend other roses within RC's growing area...and I'm not sure that it would really cover up those naked knees like you're thinking it would...

o

I agree with the others, it's too vigorous, and wants to climb. And tending the area is definitely something to think about, it does have thorns.

o

I'm training it on three small arbors that already had Don Juans on them. The DJs aren't spectacular bloomers but were gifts from my children so they aren't going anywhere. Like everyone says, this rose is very thorny, and I'm constantly hefting up runners off the ground and onto the arbors. the canes are so lax, it just sprawls all over until tied up. Having said that, I'm not displeased with it intertwined with the DJs. It had been blooming spectacularly until our last few freezes.

o

I agree with others that believe RC is not suitable as a groundcover. This rose is vigorous and very thorny and would be a nightmare to try to extricate from other roses/plants.
Molly

o

thanks everyone. I've been using Rosemary, Lavender and other traditional english garden base plants, but was hoping to find a traditional rose that would cover those legs. Kind of like a great big blob of roses against one wall, but I don't want them fighting for water or snuffing each other out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here