Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time rose mommy - Advice needed

Posted by annikasmommykate 5 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 20:14

I inherited two sad looking roses in the fall. One had one healthy stem, the other has three (I think it's a miniature) that were half dead, but had parts that I could salvage. I pruned them and planted them. They are leafing out now, but I have never grown a rose before, so I was hoping to get some advice on how to perk up my poor babies <3

Thanks in advance!

(feel free to link me to another thread if it's already been discussed...I did search, but I came up empty, so here I am)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time rose mommy - Advice needed

Fish emulsion can perk up roses.

o

In Zone 5, I'm not sure what your temperatures are like. I'm in Zone 6, and normally right now I would be giving my roses their early spring pruning and then in the next few weeks getting their first feeding of the year--any fertilizer that is 10-10-10 (NPK) will work, even if the package says it is for tomatoes. I personally like the Espoma brands--which also contain other trace elements and things like alfalfa (any one of them will work on roses). Those type of rose foods need to be repeated after each major bloom cycle is completed (but don't use them after early August). Other gardeners like to just feed once--there are various kinds of continuous feed products like Osmocote that will cover several months with one feeding, but check the label since some are for 3 months, others are for 4 or 6 months--and you don't want your roses to be feed after early August.

There are other options for feeding roses also. Just depends on how much money or time you want to spend feeding roses. Different gardeners have different preferences. The roses don't care much which kind of food they get--as long as they get some kind of food.

Kate

o

Thank you for your responses!

I use fish emulsion on my garden (I have to do it when my bf is away on business...he hates the smell). Will I still need a separate fertilizer on top of that?

Forgive me for my total ignorance on the subject.
I should probably get a book...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here