Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Dug up the old Granada rootball...

jenn
12 years ago

... or, I should say ROOT. :-( Not much there. The soil is pretty damp... perhaps I drowned it thinking it just needed a good drink!

Should I not plant a new rose in this spot (or a new Granada IF our canes root and take off) for at least a year? I'm planning to fill the gap with a group of sun-loving annuals until I can plant a new rose there again.

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Some people say to wait some say it doesn't matter. It's an on going debate. Personally, my space is so limited that I replant right away. To the best of my knowledge and experience it's made no difference. The roses I put in the empty holes did just fine. The only time I might hesitate to do that is if the rose I dug out was diseased in some way, like gall or something. But like I said, everyone has their own experience and opinion on the subject.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Jenn, if it were me, I'd dig the BIGGEST hole I could manage, and re-fill with good, new, fresh soil.

Some Big Lots! stores are selling 2-cu-ft. Miracle-Gro Garden Soil for $8. That's good stuff for fill.

Dr. Tommy Cairns opined that the main cause of "Rose Replant Disease" was the gasses giving off by decaying root material left behind. If that is so, the more of that crud you remove, the better off you are. If you have a big enough hole you should be OK.

Here, we HAVE to plant in 15- to 20-Gal pots, in the ground, because of gophers, so it's really never an issue.

Jeri

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Our Granada was about 40+ years old with a very gnarly trunk and only one cane at the top. The other roses on both sides are doing fine. In any case, I don't want to plant a new rose at this time, so I'll fill in with annuals until the end of the year.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Jenn, I'd think whatever you wish to put there would benefit from working that soil well before planting anything. Granada grew there for forty years, so it's probably fairly depleted and could use digging up the best you can and amending well with whatever you choose. I don't think I'd fully replace the soil because it would be too different in texture which would possibly inhibit root growth and water distribution. But loosening it as well as possible, perhaps removing some to make room for the new amendments, working them all in together well then firming and putting in your annuals so any settling can be taken care of before planting anything permanent should take care of any issues. Kim

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kim. Yesterday I turned the soil in that hole and saw a lot of nice big fat worms! :-) So I'm assuming there must be some organic matter on which to feed. And, the soil is nice and loose. However, it is sunken so I am planning to get a bag of good compost and mix it in, water to settle, then plant some sun-loving annuals in that big 4x4' spot.

Jeri: What I don't understand about Dr. Cairns' opinion about Rose Replant Disease is why just roses? I've removed other plants and I'm sure left root material behind, but the replacement plants didn't seem to mind.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

The current view of horticultural scientists is that rose replant syndrome involves a combination of particular nematodes and fungi that occurs in northern Europe, but not, or not commonly, in the USA.

Another possible problem with old rose soil is a buildup of phosphate from excessive P fertilizing. This can reduce the availability of certain trace nutrients.

Like most American gardeners, I have replanted immediately many times with no obvious problems.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I would amend the area thoroughly, and let it sit for a year; covering it with annuals is a good idea. Then plant the new well-rooted Granada from you cuttings there next year. :)