Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Two Knock Out Rose Questions

I have two Knock Out Rose Questions I hope I can get some help with here .....

1. What mail order nurseries do you think sell the best KO rose bushes, at the best price?

2. Does anyone grow KO roses in containers? How well has that worked? What do you do in the winter with them?

Thank You,

Miss Mary

Comments (10)

• len511
    16 years ago

Miss Mary, I'm not sure where you live, but i think you will get the biggest best plants at a local nursery. They sell knockout roses everywhere here. By the time you pay shipping for a small size you could probably buy a huge 5gal locally. They ought to do fine in a container as long as they are watered frequently and fertilized. Again i don't know where you live but they would have to be protected if in a cold zone, maybe put in the garage.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yep, Knock Out can be found most any place. If you relaly MUST order it, then Chamblee's and Nor'East sell it own root. The ones thatyou might buy locally will be grafted on Dr. Huey rootstock.

Where do you live? KO tend to get large. If we had that information, then someone from your area can tell you how to handle it in a container.

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok - I am between DC and Baltimore. Zone 7.

I usually do go to the local nurseries to buy, but since I want to get a number of them - 4 or 6 - I thought maybe I would do better buying them from a mail order place where they might be less expensive....(?) I am totally renovating the landscaping at a house we moved into last winter. The 4 I'm looking for are for the front yard, and the 2 extra for front steps containers.

The backyard has never been anything but yuck(!) - no grass, no landscaping - just ill-placed gazebo, shed and playground equipment. We got rid of all that last fall and started a lawn. This year I get to do all new design and landscaping, and I am so excited. Eventually I'll have a place for KO's in the back, too.

Thanks for any advice
    Miss Mary

• jess2132000
    16 years ago

My knockouts I bought at our local Lowes Garden Center $15 in May here and they grow really fast!! Here they were last summer!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Miss Mary,
    All our local Home Depot and Lowes stores had KO last year. Regular KO, Pink KO, Rainbow KO, Double KO. They did not have Pink Double and the yellow one. Very healthy and unexpensive plants. I've bought my Double KO at Behnke's nursery at Beltsville: perfectly formed 1.5' shrub. You can call them and ask when they will start selling roses this year.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

I saw Knockouts recently at Walmart in 1 gallon pots for $9.95. You might also consider the Double Knockouts - saw those at Lowe's for $17, they are really pretty. Jess your photo was fabulous!!
    Judith

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say that our local Costco stores sell Jackson&Perkins bareroot KO right now. I saw regular KO, pink KO and Rainbow KO. The price is $18.99 for two Grade 1 plants.

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Jess, LOVE the picture - the roses are breathtaking! And the tiki torches are a great touch (I used to live in Hawaii, and love all things that say "Hawaii" to me). What varieties do you have --- I can't tell if they are doubles or not?

Thanks all for the tips! You've convinced me to buy from the local nurseries when they put their roses out.

Miss Mary

• jess2132000
    16 years ago

This are the pink and red regular Knockouts!! I have a few in front of our shed also but just planted..

{{gwi:18324}}

{{gwi:18320}}

• frank_10b
    16 years ago

Lowes had KO for about 11 own root in orlando FL