Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

The Forsythia is Blooming!

TNY78
11 years ago

While driving home from work today, I noticed that the forsythia is blooming! We've had daffodils for a week or so, but I really gauge spring by the forsythia. ...and to welcome Spring ever more, I received my Palatine order this afternoon; big, beautiful, healthy bareroots that are going in the ground Saturday. Let the pruning, planting and of course...let Spring begin!

Tammy

Comments (8)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

Awesome! Time to prune! lol
    Things still asleep here but should
    be waking up soon...

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

sounds wonderful, Tammy! Send it north soon!

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Forsythia or no, the third week in March is a good time to prune roses in the upper South. I used to say the fourth week, but our climate has really changed.

In Asheville, we have had daffodils for nearly a month, but I haven't seen any forsythia. We had a zone 8 winter, but March has been cold, which is a good thing for roses.

Roses are just starting to grow out. I will be pruning this weekend--it is supposed to be very warm.

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Send it this way please!!!! I am so ready for spring...I've been going on daily hunts in search of signs of it nearing....
    some bulbs are starting to wake up:)

• User
    11 years ago

grief, yes - no sign of spring here - in fact, we have been warned to expect more of the miserable same until mid-april.
    2 narcissi open, hellebores and crocus, still have snowdrops. Waiting for primroses - my main harbinger of spring.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Daffs are showing color, but not open yet. No forsythia. Some of the roses have leaf buds of 1" or more, and that thug Excellenz von Schubert has started to leaf out. Happy days ahead!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Forsythia have been blooming for about 2 weeks. I finally went out and did the start of my spring rose gardening today. It felt good to get going. Got my hands dirty and actually sweated. Put 3 roses in the ground today. Will put 3 more in their home tomorrow. Will also give everything their early spring "kick in the but" liquid fert. plus fish tomorrow, then start my regular feeding on the 1st of April. Can't wait for my first blooms.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michael, I think maybe our daffodils have been up closer to three weeks, rather than the one week I initially said. You and I should be really close in terms of spring flowers and such...I bet your forsythia will bloom this coming week.

Its interesting to hear how different parts of the Country are in different stages of Spring. Our bartlett pears (stinky little trees) are also just beginning to open up their flowers. Tulip and iris leaves are about 4 inches high...definitely no buds yet on them. Quince is blooming, but that usually comes at the same time as forsythia anyway.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on getting my 7 roses from Palatine in the ground...crossing fingers that the rain hold off until Sunday!

Tammy