Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic rose care

Posted by nastarana 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 21:30

I know I need a soil test. What will that tell me, and what kind of test should I have done? Some are quite expensive.

What kinds of ferts and soil amendments are you using?

I have some azomite, which I got last year for the vegetables. Are any of you using that on roses? What about sea minerals? Does rose growing soil need to be "remineralized"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic rose care

I'd start with the complete soil analysis from Cooperative Extension. It's $15, and covers pH, potassium, phosphorus, and the major micronutrients. To get anything useful from more involved testing you'd have to have a specific concern. Once you have the soil test results, then you add specific things to fix deficiencies. If you don't have any deficiencies, but high levels of nutrients, the only thing needed is nitrogen.

o

Thank you for the response.

With high levels of nutrients, supposing I were so fortunate, why would extra nitrogen be needed at all?

o

Nitrogen levels are transient. It leaches out easily. So just because the test says there is enough now doesn't mean there is going to be enough six months from now.

A lot of places don't even bother testing for nitrogen at this point. They just give a blanket recommendation to add more at regular intervals.

o

Nastarana, most soil tests don't report nitrogen, mostly because there is no test that will predict how much of the organic nitrogen in the soil will become available to plants in a given span of time. This doesn't seem to be a big problem, either for farmers or rose growers. Basically, you just add nitrogen, every year, in amounts based on your crop and your soil and on your past experience or maybe just on the fertilizer label.

The Azomite you mentioned is sodium calcium aluminosilicate, which is a mined clay, either closely related or identical to Kaolinite, Fullers Earth, Bentonite or montmorillonite. Its fertilizer analysis is 0/0/0.2, which means it's not a fertilizer at all. It does contain a variety of minerals - but I would say no more than every other type of clay on the planet. It does have some uses, mostly as an anti-caking agent for livestock feeds (The Azomite web site makes it seem as though it's added to livestock feed because it's an animal nutrient - it isn't) Essentially, I think every company which mines any of the above-named clays, attempts to supplement its income by selling its product to home gardeners as a magical soil amendment.

o

Thanks, mike rivers. I used some azomite last year on the veges and couldn't see that it made much difference. Maybe I should try some controlled experiments this year.

So, organic sources of N might include blood meal and compost?

o

Milorganite is a widely available organic fertilizer. Blain's Farm and Fleet sometimes has a good price on it in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milorganite FAQ

o

Milorganite is an organic fertilizer in the sense that it is derived from living things. It is not an organic fertilizer in the now more usual sense that it is not accepted for growing organic-certified crops. My usual rose fertilizer is a once-a-year feeding of 6 month Osmocote (I chose a variety with a low Phosphorous number in an attempt to preserve the soil micorrhizal fungi) and a monthly feeding with a cup or two of alfalfa meal. The Osmocote is clearly not an organic fertilizer but I suspect it could be called an Eco-fertilizer in the sense that it consumes fewer resources and applies its nutrients more efficiently than probably any other fertilizer - including the alfalfa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here