Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

comparing Palatine/Pickering orders

Hello. Has anyone received roses from both Palatine and Pickering this year?
My Palatines are HUGE. Massive roots...super green and huge healthy canes. Gorgeous roses!
My Pickerings....well...they mostly look like dead twigs. Very small root systems and tiny canes (pencil or less). Really, they look worse than some bodybags I've seen.
I contacted Pickering and she said they were small this year and asked that I send pictures....
I would appreciate hearing from other folks who ordered from both companies.
I'm very disappointed with Pickering.
Susan

Comments (4)

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I didn't order form Pickering this season. But based on past orders, their best roses could never compare to Palatine's. They should still be good roses tho. I don't know of too many other places that give you the monsters like Palatine does.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, the quality of roses from Pickering has been deteriorating on a gradual basis ever since they moved their growing fields from Pickering to Port Hope. There have been a number of reasons that have contributed to this.

Regardless, even the smaller Pickering bare-roots tend to do well once planted for the most part. This said, I only use Pickering now as a source when I can't get a variety from Palatine.

Pickering's roses used to be very similiar in quality and size to what Palatine sends now. That was maybe 10 to 12 years ago.

Keep in mind also that Palatine's rose fields are in a warmer zone and area of Ontario then where Pickering is located now. Not the only reason for the disparity, but a contributing factor.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you all. That's a real shame...I only ordered Austins from Pickering (Palatine doesn't sell them) and a few others that Palatine didn't have as I have ordered from Palatine before and been thrilled with the quality!
    I was in HD today and saw body bags with canes 3 X the size of the Pickering roses.
    I'm glad to hear that the Pickering roses do ok. I was really, really disappointed. Not just in the size but in the health.
    Susan

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Susan, the body bag plants you saw were most likely budded on Dr. Huey from Texas or California. Comparing them to anything on multiflora, particularly from anywhere in a cold climate (compared to the south or south west) is not really fair. Both may eventually resemble each other, but very few will initially. Kim

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting