Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep should I bury the graft union?

Posted by farmerduck NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 21:42

Hi,

I am waiting for grafted roses I ordered for this year to arraive in the next couple of weeks. I would like them to eventually go own root. How deep should I bury the graft unions?

I understand that for my zone, which is 6b, the general guideline is to lightly bury the graft union, but that is for protecting the unions, notf for helping the roses go ownroot . I think I would just bury the union deep, say, by 6 inches of soil. Does this make sense? Would I harm the roses?

One of my source is Palatine, and the multflora rootstock they use does not do well in my soil.

Many thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep should I bury the graft union?

Six inches sounds too deep to me; I think you'd risk having the bottom of the canes rot! In my garden, roses go own-root just as long as the graft union is covered, and, of course, if the rose is well-cared-for and happy,but it doesn't happen immediately; it takes a couple of years, and also depends on the type of rose.I'd think that one inch deep would be fine, maximum two. However, I do want to point out that my climate is very different from yours, so let's hope some other gardeners weigh in here. regards, bart

o

In cold Sweden the recommended planting depth is at least 3 inches and up to 6 or 7 inches, deepest for climbers. I've always buried the graft this deeply. The only drawback has been that it's difficult to pull out suckers from the rootstock.

o

Roses go own-root IF they want to, so long as the graft is buried somewhat. I wouldn't intentionally go more than a couple of inches deep because they do settle a bit more.

o

Thanks everyone! I will bury the union a few inches down then. I am compulsive and have a tendency to go over board when it comes to gardening, and thanks for talk sense into me.

Cheers,
Mark

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 12:35

Uaually 2 to 4 inches is recommended here. They only go own root if they want to and it will take years.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 14:50

I usually go about 3 inches. With that being said, Dr. Huey doesnt do well here and usually the plant dies before it ever goes ownroot. So ive learned to either not buy anything with Dr Huey, or buy with the expectation that I will have to keep it potted. Multiflora does excellent here. We must have opposite soil pH :)

o

One inch of cover is plenty for NJ and will not discourage own-rooting (if the plant wants to do it). Don't bully your plants. Own-root is not good for many roses, including probably a majority of hybrid teas. Roses will survive very deep planting, but the reduced oxygenation can incapacitate the rootstock roots and slow the plant's development somewhat.

I've dug deep-planted roses that had no own-rooting, but all the feeder roots developed from the rootstock shank, while the fleshy rootstock roots had not grown at all. This was in a location with adequate drainage.

o

1" - 3" is fine for my part of NJ (Monmouth Cty.). 6" is too deep (in my opinion).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here