Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Transplanting Container Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have quite a few roses in containers that I would like to put in the ground. A couple of Double Delights, Drop Dead Red, Europeana and Amalia which are grafted and a few own-root, Rose de Rescht, Belinda's Dream, Marijke Koopman, and Love. These are all in large containers and have broken dormancy. I also have several own-root roses that I purchased from mail order nursery sales later in the season last year and they are in smaller containers, Christopher Marlowe has grown quite a bit and is already leafed out. Most of the other ones in small containers look good, but aren't doing much yet. I want to know if it would be safe to transplant them and when, and if I need to do anything else to them before planting them in the ground? Any advice would be appreciated.

I am now wondering if this is a legitimate question. I am mainly concerned about the ones growing in the large containers, because most of them have done really well and I don't want to do harm to roses that are doing so good where they are at, I don't want them to suffer from transplant shock.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 6:21

Comments (11)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I have best luck transplanting well before hot weather--like now, if you have time.

Give the plants a good deep watering, get your holes dug & water them, then transplant the next day or so. Heavily mulch & keep watered well after transplanting. Be very conservative with fertilizing--let them get established for a season or so. I usually dig a big hole & amend the local "soil" (caliche, really) at least 1/2 with pine fines or a good commercial potting mix The pine fines really keep it fluffy.

Dunno how extreme your seasons are up there, but fall is the most popular time for planting shrubs & perennials down here since heat, not cold, is the biggest trial to plants.

Spring planting runs from late Feb-April, often by May it's consistently just too dang hot. I routinely get bare root roses during that time & have good luck planting them, even though I prefer fall planting. Hope this is useful.

• cecily
    10 years ago

If the roses are planted in plain old plastic nursery pots, you can cut the pots away with a linoleum knife and avoid harming the root ball by tugging and pulling to get the rose out of the pot.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ladies. The large container roses are purposely planted that way and have all thrived. They were planted last season. I want them to remain healthy and am not really sure how long it is okay to grow them that way. I will show a picture of one. I think the containers are ample size, but I am not really sure. This is the floribunda Drop Dead Red.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

You just need to not disturb the root ball. Otherwise plant just the way you did in the pots only in a much bigger hole with amended soil. Also, I would raise the bed, have a shallow bowl in the center, plant the graft (if there is one) one inch below the surface, mulch heavily and put in surface drip watering.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

As Henry said, if you don't disturb the root balls they won't suffer much if any shock at all. For the most part I've found that the root balls will easily slide right out of the pots whole and go right into the hole. Just make sure your holes are bigger than the pots are and they should be fine.

• cecily
    10 years ago

Those are nice sized pots. I think you could keep them potted up another year if that's what you'd really like to do.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

if the soil falls away from the root ball, just forge ahead and water well until u see new growth. I would do this as soon as the soil is workable. These pots do not look like the thin disposable nursery pots. with those flimsy pots, one can actually wrap a rubber band around it, cut off the bottom, slip it into the hole and remove the sleeve.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Good advice above--but in Zone 6 Kansas, the last freeze date is some time around mid-April. The usual practice is not to plant container roses until after the last freeze date. In fact, one reputable nursery won't even send me its container plants until early May--they are fanatical about making sure the container plant is not planted in the garden until all danger of freeze is past. But of course their plants have probably been growing in a nursery and yours, I take it, have been growing outdoors all winter? In which case, they may be hardy enough and hardened off enough not to mind weathering the transplanted spot even if a cold spell suddenly appeared in early April.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I appreciate the helpful information.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

You know, Sara, if you really would like to keep them in the pots instead of the ground there is a thing called root pruning that would let you do that. Since I keep a lot of roses in pots permanently I've had to learn how to do that.

There are variables, of course, the vigor of the plant, the pot size and such, but in a cold zone you usually would only have to do this about every 3 to 5 years. I can tell when one of my pots needs to be root pruned when I water it. If the water goes in the top and almost immediately starts running out the bottom that usually tells me the rose is root bound in the the pot and there isn't much soil left in there.

Early spring is the best time to do it because you will be pruning back the plant anyway so pruning off some of the roots shouldn't hurt it. You don't want to have fewer roots with a huge plant on top that it can't feed. Besides it's going into full growth mode and will start growing those root back quickly. Let the pot get a little dry. This helps to keep the root ball easier to handle. Slip out the root ball and carefully trim off some of the bottom and sides of the root ball. I trim mine by about half. Then repot the plant with fresh potting soil. Water it well and it should start to grow again in no time.

Hope that helps!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil - Thank you so much! I really appreciate you letting me know about the root pruning.