Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesnpots

New Video: How to Pillar a Rose

rosesnpots
15 years ago

For everyone interested in pillaring a rose. Paul Zimmerman, owner of Ashdown Roses has added a new video "How to Pillar a Rose" to his short (and free) Rose Care videos on YouTube.

The link is below.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Pillar a Rose

Comments (26)

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Great video. Thank you Liz and Paul!!!

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. That was the best explanation I have heard to date on pillaring a rose. It was also very amusing:)

Furthermore I watched a couple of his other videos listed there. Thanks to the folks at Ashdown.

Kate

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Thanks Liz. As Kate said, that was a great explanation of pillaring, with clear demonstrations of exactly how to do it, step by step. I might just be able to squeeze a few more roses in with this technique....
    Judith

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Loved it. Paul I hope you'll do a follow up video showing this rose in bloom!

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Hi there,

Glad you like them. I'm having fun doing them and have about 15-20 more planned.

I'll do a follow up showing the rose in bloom as well as the others I pruned. The next one I'm going to shoot as soon as it stops raining is pruning climbers and luckily I have some shots of the climber I'm going to prune in full bloom!

If any of you have ideas of what you'd like to see in a video let me know.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Very helpful. Thanks, Paul. I was just about to head out and try to figure out what to do with my pillar roses. Timing couldn't have been better.

Kate

• rosesnpots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To All

You are quite welcome. I thought this video would be great especially for people like me with small yards but would still like a nice climber (or more) or a Judith said, be able to sgueeze in a few more roses.

R/Liz

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

The video about pruning climbing roses sounds great, for I have a climber on a trellis that is getting so wild and tall, and I need some advice on how to keep it more manageable. Thanks Paul for sharing with us all this valuable information.

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

Oh happy me to find this video---I have a new tripod and some Peggy Martins to set in place. Great timing, thank you very much!

• onewheeler
    15 years ago

I will go back to these videos several more times, excellent presentation Paul, I really enjoyed watching this, thank you.

valerie

• decagon
    15 years ago

Thank you for these GREAT videos! As a newcomer to roses, they've been invaluable. Since you asked for topic suggestions, may I add planting a bare root rose to your list. My first experience a couple weeks ago planting bare roots was, in a word, hysterical. Too high, too low, crooked...you name it, I managed to do it. I must have planted each bare root 2-3 times before I got it right. A video on what to do when you receive bare roots, how to prep them for planting, and then how to plant them would be really helpful for newcomers like me.

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

decagon.

On this list to film this week.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Luuuuuuv the videos. Watched 4 or 5 tonight and will definitely watch the rest later. So informative. I was wanting some more climbing roses and the way Paul put them on the pillar was so cool. Now I need to find some spots for my hubby to place some poles then I will order me some more climbers. Thanks a bunch Paul for all the time and valueable info. Thanks Liz for bringing it to our attention. Take care, Judy

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

Like some of the others who posted, I watched all of the videos that were listed, and they are excellent. The topic I would like to get help with is pretty elementary, but I struggle with it: placement. As in how close together to plant bushes in a rosebed. How deep to plant in different soil types---I learned the hard way that in our heat, a saucer shaped planting is better than a mound shape, but of course other people have different issues. And another heat issue is that some roses NEED a little mid-day shade, but learning which ones by trial and error is expensive. Also, categories or (even better) specific names of roses that need a lot more room than others. If Paul gets a chance one day to address that set of questions, I want a front seat for the lecture! Thanks very much!!

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

prairielaura. You got it. There are a lot of different thoughts on that question but I can certainly talk on broad strokes with some side tips for those in dry climates or wet climates etc.

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

Looking forward, thank you!!
    Laura

• rosesnpots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judy

You are welcome. I have a very small yard and pillaring will be great for my situation. I just got Earthquake CL and I can't wait until it is big enough to pillar. I may even take down the trellis American Beauty CL is on and pillar it as well. That will give me more room for more roses. :)

R/
    Liz

• wanttogarden
    15 years ago

After watching all the available videos, I learned how to grow tall Austins anywhere in my yard as long as I have one tall structure to grow them as column rose for each on. Crossing canes are Ok. They were destined to be SPed.

Now I also get what all that fuss was about around Dec. between people who grew Teas and China's, advocating a non prune method and the others who grew roses who did not mind hard pruning (European roses). Now that I see the big picture, they were all right.

Paul, thank you for simplifying all the challenges I faced growing tall Austins and pruning different variety of roses.

Regards,
    FJ

• pauline-vi-8
    15 years ago

Wow, how could a post so interesting be sent to the next page so quickly. I saw this early today and intended to come back and voila! Puff! It was gone. What amazing information, thank you - I love Paul's instruction - so impressed! I did, I think, already put it in my favourites. What useful information. Thank you Liz.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• rosesnpots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pauline

You are welcome. When I posted it, I thought, what a great way to have a tall beautiful focal point in a small yard. And I am sure others are thinking the same.

R/Liz

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Outstanding! Thank you.

Suggest if you can a large neutral color tarp as a background--would make it easier to see the rose.

Wonderful information, well presented.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Ditto to all responses! Oh my! Awesome information! Thank you so very much! Glad this works with ramblers. My Blush Noisette was sold to me as a climber, and then I found out that it is actually a rambler.

It's nestled about 1.5 feet away from a natural post aka palm tree. Same thing with Darlow's Enigma.

Nice to know how to train these beauties to show all their fragrant beauty!
    Suzi

• LindyB
    15 years ago

Glad I didn't miss this one. I feel much more confident about training my pillar roses now. What a wonderful service! It's so much easier to understand by watching than having someone just tell you or by reading it in a book. This opens the door for more roses too ;-)

Thanks, Paul! Can't wait to see the other videos.

• rosesnpots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

desertdance, what a great idea using a palm tree as a pillar. Please post pics when you are done.

Paul has added a new video that really explains how to prune and control a climber or rambler.

Liz

• newjersey_rose
    15 years ago

Paul.....put on a long sleeve shirt! Having done that many times I was cringing as you looked into the camera and reached into the plant. Your arms must have been a mess. Nice job on the explanation......clear, concise, easy to apply.

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

Very nicely done Paul! Ok, now that you've shown me how to pillar a rose, what would you suggest I add to my spring order that is winter hardy for zone 5b? Repeat bloom would be a must...

If you could give me an idea of what you'd plant if in Michigan, I'll call Trish and add ASAP. I am so out of room!